HERE TO STAY - Malum

explicit

It was a Friday afternoon. 

The four young men were sprawled out on the couch in the living room of the house the four of them temporarily rented to be able to write their second album in peace and record and write whenever they wanted.

The TV was silently playing with some football game Calum and Michael were watching while the other two were on their phones, just partly paying attention to whatever was going on on the screen. 

The lazy mood was destroyed by Michaels phone playing the intro of Dear Maria Count Me In by All Time Low. Michael looked at the caller ID and picked up smiling.

"Hi Dad," he said while getting up and walking out of the living room and into the kitchen.

The others continued minding their business until they heard Michael walk upstairs into his room where he locked the door.

Calum looked at the other two who were just as confused as him since Michaels favorite football team was on TV and the eighteen year old boy usually never missed a game.

"I'mma go look if he's okay", Calum mumbled and climbed up the stairs to Michael's room. He walked past his own room and stopped in front of the door that lead to Michaels before he slightly knocked on the wooden door.

"Mike? Are you okay?," Calum asked softly.

All Calum could hear were choked sobs.

"Mike.. hey buddy let me in..," Calum knocked again.

But there was no movement inside. Calum sighed.

"Hey, I'll give you some space now, but just know that we are all here for you whenever you need anything or are ready to talk. We love you Mikey.."

He went back downstairs where the other boys looked at him expectantly but Calum just shook his head.

"I don't know but he doesn't want to see anyone and I think he's crying."

***

Michael stayed in his room for the rest of the day. Calum was worried about his best friend, he just wanted to comfort and be there for him but Calum knew that Michael needed his space.

It was past midnight and Calum was laying awake in his bed because he couldn't find any rest.

His phone went off telling him he got a notification from Twitter. He opened the app and was surprised to see Michael had tweeted.

michael @Michael5SOS

I am going to take a break from social media for a while. I hope you understand x don't forget to tell your mum you love her, it could be the last chance. Love you guys.

And then it hit Calum.

Michael's mum had been suffering from cancer for several months now and it seemed like she lost her battle. Tears gathered in Calum's eyes. All he wanted to do was hug his best friend tight and never let him go. He thought back to the time he and Michael were kids and he was over at Michael's house almost every day. Calum always loved Michael's mum like his own mum. She was always nice and she was a hell of a good cook and always allowed them to watch cartoons.

Calum stood up shakily and wiped away the few fallen tears. He went over to Michaels room again and was surprised to find his door unlocked. Calum slowly inch opened the door and stuck his head through the opening.

"Mike?," he whispered.

He got no response.

"Mike?," Calum tried again, a little bit louder now.