Chapter 14: The job and a phone call

Pov y/n

I fiddle with the ring on my finger, trying to keep my calm. This is nothing bad or too big, I'm just gonna ask, if they have a full-time job offer for me. And if they don't, that's also okay. We still both work and since I am not going to school anymore, we don't have to pay for that and can use that money otherwise. But a proper job would still be nice. 

We're trying to build up a long-term life after all. And even if I don't get this job, it's not the end of the world. I can apply at other companies as well, nothing pushes me to have a full-time job right away. I inhale deeply, trying to keep my nerves calm as I stop in front of my boss's office door. I mailed him beforehand to ask for a meeting and he sent an email back, telling me to come today at 12 pm. It is currently 11:56 am, so I am right on time. 

I knock on the door and a few seconds later, Mr. Harolton calls me inside. He smiles up at me from behind his desk and gestures for me to take a seat. I do so and fidget with my fingers in my lap. Somehow, this seemed easier in my head because I have no clue how to start this.

"What do you want to talk about?" Mr. Harolton asks and leans back in his chair. He seems relaxed, which is always good. Not that he would be a tense man, he is very friendly and kind and I liked working for him, I still do.

"I am 18 now..." I start and want to take it back right away, that's not a good start but he just nods and waits for me to go on. 

"So, I could work a full-time job now and since I really liked working here, I wanted to ask, if it was possible, that I could get that kind of job here?" I ask and look down into my lap, not wanting to see his reaction right away. What if he thinks this is dumb or that I am not the right person to do so?

We stay quiet for a while and I glance up, worried that I pushed it too far but he seems thoughtful, so that's good, I suppose. He eyes me and taps his fingers together in thought.

"I am not sure, if we have a free spot right now." He starts after a few more moments of silence that made me even more nervous.

My heart drops at his words. I knew this was a bad idea and I wish I could just walk out and never come back because this feels really embarrassing.

"But you did do a great job while you were working here and we could use someone like that to ease the other jobs around here." He thinks out loud and I peak up, a tiny bit of hope lighting up within me. That doesn't sound too bad.

"We would have you around four hours longer each day then." He continues slowly and I allow myself to get my hopes up. This doesn't sound like he's gonna tell me 'no'.

His eyes look at me and this time I don't avoid them, hoping to signalize him that I am ready for what he is thinking about. For a few more seconds he is silent before he slowly nods.

"I think that is a good idea. I'm gonna talk to the finance department to see if we can afford it but I sure think so. Until then I can't promise anything but I have a good feeling about this." He tells me with a kind smile and I feel relief and excitement rush through me. It would be so great if this worked!

"Thank you, Mr. Harolton. I really appreciate it." I say, trying not to jump up at the news because that would make me seem unprofessional. He nods.

"Of course. I'll get back to you, as soon as I know more. Until then, you're just gonna work your usual four hours." He advices me and I nod quickly. 

We change a few more words before I get up and step out of his office, releasing a breath when the door is closed again. That wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. Now I can only hope, that the finance department will agree with this.
I work the rest of my day, still feeling a certain nervousness inside me, hoping I'll get the job. I'm also looking forward to telling Wanda about this. I haven't texted her the answer yet because I prefer to tell her in person, being able to see her reaction.