Chapter 32: All along

Pov y/n

On Tuesday I go to work again.
Wanda works from home, so she can stay within the shield she created around our apartment.
To be safe, I put the stone into my backpack because after what happened at the base, I wouldn't be surprised, if they wanted to catch me too.

Is it smart to carry around an infinity stone? Probably not, considering how rare and powerful it is.
But it also is the best protection if someone tries to harm me. I can't exactly wear widow bites to work and my bow and arrows would also be a little suspicious.

I am very careful on my way to work though, looking around a lot and feeling a little paranoid but nothing happens and I arrive safely. The whole day goes by calm and I thank everyone who tells me, they're glad that I am healthy again. I almost forgot that I called in sick but I thank them every time and smile.

On my way home, my heart starts to beat a little faster, in fear that Wanda won't be there when I get back.
My legs start to walk faster without me really controlling it. As soon as I step into the apartment, I hear Wanda's voice though and breathe out in relief, she's still here and healthy.
I get out of my shoes and walk over to our bedroom, glancing inside. Wanda is typing on her laptop and I smile.

"Honey, I'm home." I say and her eyes instantly look up at me and start to sparkle.

"Hey, sunshine. How was work?" She asks and makes grabby hands at me, that melt my heart. I walk over and straddle her lap, smiling at her.

"It was good. Nothing bad happened." I tell her and she smiles and kisses my cheek.

"I am very glad to hear that." She says and I grin and pucker my lips, demanding a real kiss. She chuckles and follows that demand, giving me a sweet kiss that makes me sigh happily.

"Always nice to come home to your fiancée." I grin and she playfully rolls her eyes and pokes my side, making me giggle.

"Just as nice as when the fiancée finally comes home." She replies and I gaze into her eyes for a few more moments before she lightly taps my butt and I get up.

I give her one last kiss on the top of her head before going into the living room and slouching down on the couch. I am about to grab my book, when my phone suddenly rings.
Unknown number.

I debater whether to take it or not. But I know now, that Cole already knows our location, so it wouldn't really be news for him, if this was him trying to track us. I decide to take the call.

"Hello?" I ask, my voice not as steady as I want it to.

"Hello y/n." I hear a familiar voice greeting me. I frown and look at my phone.

"How did you get my number? I never gave it to you?" I ask.

"A bit of research and breaking through some firewalls." He answers, as if it wasn't a big deal.

"Since when do you have it?" I ask further and sink back into the couch.

"Pretty much since you got the phone but there wasn't really a reason to call you. We wanted to give you some time to yourself and privacy." He explains and I hum. All this time I thought Wanda and I managed to stay undercover but it looks like that was a wrong assumption.

"You could have reached me all along..." I mumble, not sure how I feel about that.

"Yes, but I didn't. It is good to hear from you again though." He says, his voice a bit softer and I can't help the little smile on my face.

"Thanks, Steve." I reply. "Is there a reason for your call?"

"There is indeed. We need you two back home." He states and I raise my eyebrows. We just settled in here and even though it kinda went to shit a few days ago, we weren't planning on leaving our lives here.