Chapter 35: Catching up

Pov y/n

Mom sits down opposite of us, looking at us while I take Wanda's hand in mine, intertwining our fingers. Steve gets up from one of the pilot seats, leaning against the wall and looks at us a little firmly.

"I told you to stay close and check in." He reminds us and I think back about the letter he sent us when we were still in London.

"I didn't say go to Scotland and completely ignore us." He continues but I am too exhausted to talk to him now, so I only squeeze Wanda's hand, silently telling her that I'll support everything she replies.

"We're sorry but we didn't really have a choice when it came to going to Scotland. And about the not checking in...that's on us." She admits but doesn't sound like she regrets it and neither do I.

We had a mostly good time in Scotland. The fact that it ended with Wanda being kidnapped by Hydra isn't our fault. Besides, Cole told me himself that he already wanted to do that in the States, so. But it makes me think about something.

"What about our jobs in Scotland? And our apartment and all our things?" I ask and lift my head off Wanda's shoulder to look between Mom and Steve. Steve crosses his arms.

"We're going home right now." He simply states and I almost wanna roll my eyes at that reply, I gathered that.

"But if you want to have some of your stuff from Scotland, it surely can be arranged that they're sent over." He offers, his voice now a little softer.
"Your jobs on the other hand...we don't know how long this will take, so you might get fired for not showing up. But maybe they'll understand that it was more important to save the world."
Steve pushes himself off the wall and sits down next to Mom.

"We didn't agree to this. We didn't want to be dragged back into this." I protest weakly and glare at Steve. As glad I am that they just saved us, I am not ready to go back home and forget about the life Wanda and I started to build up.

"We are aware of this but the situation got worse and we need everyone back together and especially can't risk to lose anyone right now." Mom explains and looks between Wanda and me.

"We know, that you both declined to come back."
I look at Wanda and she looks at me. Seems like I'm not the only one who got a call.

"Just under the condition, that nothing will happen to y/n." Wanda says, raising her eyebrows and looking at Steve and Mom while letting go of my hand and putting her arm over my shoulder.

"And also not to Wanda." I add and lean back against her.

"You know how these things go, we can never promise that but we will try our best for everyone to stay unharmed." Steve says and I huff a little.

"I don't know how 'these things go' because I never really were on a mission or anything. Besides, that's not good enough. We just started making future plans and I don't want them to be ruined." I state and raise my chin a little while starting to play with Wanda's hand, or her engagement ring to be exact.

Ever since we got engaged, she reduced her numerous rings to one hand, the engagement ring being alone on her hand. Mom's eyes dart to my actions and for a few seconds I watch her eyes dart from Wanda's finger over to me, then to my finger and then to my face.

I'm usually not a ring person. Sometimes I wore them because they were great to fiddle with but not really often.
She seems to see the connection and her eyes light up, no matter the seriousness of the situation.

"Are you...?" She doesn't seem able to word it, seeming very stunned right now. If I hadn't seen her eyes noticing our rings before, I'd probably assume she thinks one of us is pregnant.