Chapter 17: What's going on?

Pov y/n

I wake up and for a few seconds everything seems fine.
Until I remember yesterday.

I gulp and press my lips together. My eyes look around the room but I still see no sign of Wanda. I still don't want to believe that she just left me, that's not how she is. But the signs speak for themselves and as much as I want to ignore them, I can't.

I stayed up late last night, eating the cold pasta and starring at our paintings in the living room.
A month ago we celebrated our one year anniversary and suddenly she ran away?
That doesn't feel right but I have no clue why else she shouldn't be here.

I get up, my body feeling heavy and my motivation not there but I don't really have a choice.
My energy is also not high enough yet to think about what all this means because Wanda was the one with the bank account.
We may both have cards for it but if she decides to lock me out of it, I won't have any money.

Now, I doubt that she would do that because even if she doesn't love me anymore, which hurts to think, she probably wouldn't want me to suffer by living on the street and not having food or water.

But all of that are questions I am not in the mood to think about now. For now my only goal is, to somehow pull myself together, so I won't start crying. I go into the bathroom, not surprised to see bags under my eyes. I look tired and as if I cried a lot. Both is true.

With a sigh, I splash some water into my face and try to look less crushed. Then I get dressed and eat cold pasta for breakfast. I don't have the energy to make more right now and I also don't feel like doing so.
Pasta that tastes like nothing fits perfectly to my mood.

I try to push every negative thought away and make my way to work. It's hard, I won't lie but somehow, I manage and I also somehow manage the day, even if most of it goes by in a blur.

On the way home, I stop at the store to buy some more groceries. No matter how crushed or sad I feel, I have to continue my life. It's not easy at all and the thought of calling Yelena to call my mom for me comes to my mind but I shake that off.
Just because I am feeling very sad and lonely right now, doesn't mean I wanna go to jail in America. I'm gonna get through this and I will make it, somehow.

Back at the apartment, it's as if every nearly positive thought I had today vanishes and I feel sad again.
Everything here reminds me of Wanda and it hurts. I bring the groceries into the kitchen before walking back into the hallway.

My eyes are pinned to the ground when I suddenly notice something and my eyes dart up. Wanda's shoes are all here. How can that be? If she decided to run away, why would she leave without her shoes?

I doubt she bought new ones because she was always more thoughtful when it came to money and expenses.
It doesn't add up and a tiny bit of hope glimpses up inside me. It still doesn't look good but maybe she didn't run away, maybe there's another reason she isn't here.

Well, the other's probably aren't pleasant either but it helps me to feel less crushed about being left. Even if I had to live with that feeling for only one day, it was horrible and I feel like weights are pushing down on me while my heart aches.
A bit of that weight slowly lifts and I take a deep breath, trying to compose myself.

I look around the hallway. She also didn't take her jacket with her, which is weird since it's not that warm anymore. My eyes dart to the door and I take a closer look. It doesn't seem as if it was broken open, so no one came inside.
My heart starts to beat a little faster in nervousness but this time a different kind. Not the sad, scared one but the worried, anxious one. What happened here?

I spin around myself and look around the hallway before slowly walking through every room of the apartment, looking for any further clues on what happened. All I know is, Wanda isn't here, a few of her clothes miss but her shoes don't, her phone was underneath the bed and there are no signs of a break in. The windows also seem to be alright, nothing is smashed or broken open. It didn't happen in here then, at least that's what I'm getting at.