Chapter 20: A short journey

Pov y/n

I get out at a bus stop and look around. I have no clue where I am. The connection from Wanda's side is still lost, so all I have is my phone. I could be totally wrong by now but what else am I supposed to do?
If I just stay where I am, I would lose my mind and be way too anxious about not doing anything.

So, I walk down the street, following my phone and hoping to hear something of Wanda again.

An hour later I stop to have a little break and drink some water, looking around. By now I am close to a forest, no city really close anymore.
Maybe not the smartest and safest idea, if I think about it. If anything were to happen, I'm screwed. I take a deep breath and try to push that thought out of my head, it won't help me to think about that now.

I jump, when I suddenly hear a voice again.
"Y/n?" Wanda asks and I try to calm my heart rate down after the scare.

"Yes, I'm here." I answer and instantly concentrate. I have no ide how much time we have until the connection is lost again and I need to know if I'm on the right way.

"Where are you?" She asks and I look around cluelessly.

"On the side of a road, close to a forest." I answer vaguely, still trying to find a sign or anything. "Why?"

"I'm scared." Wanda says, her voice sounding smaller than usual and worry shots through my body, together withvthe fear that she might be harmed.

"Did something happen? Did they hurt you?" I ask, having trouble to concentrate on the connection.

"I don't know. They injected me something and it made me a bit dizzy. I have no clue what they're trying to do to me. I am alright so far but I am scared for what's to come. I overheard someone talk about experiments that they apparently wanna do with me and I am scared that it will end very badly." She tells me, clearly frightened and as much as I want to be there for her right now, I only halfway listened and tried to find the connection again.

This time, I can feel the pull instantly. It's stronger than before, which I take as a good sign. Maybe I am closer now. Well, not just maybe. If I weren't, I wasted a lot of time in a situation where we don't really have time at all.

"You are strong Wanda, you can do that. Just hold on until I'm there. I'm gonna get you out of there." I assure her, trying to keep her spirits a little higher and feeling bad that I can't do much more than that.

I open the compass on my phone again and turn around until I am facing into the direction it pulls me. It's not exactly the direction I was walking into but at least it's also not the opposite direction. The little arrow on my phone points right into the woods, where the light from the sky is swallowed by the treetops. I gulp but gather all the courage inside me and start walking into the forest.

"When are you gonna be there?" Wanda asks, her voice suddenly sounding a little echoey, which scares me a bit because that can't be a good sign.

"Hopefully soon. I have no idea how far I'm still away but the pull is stronger now, so I am on my way. Please hold on as long as you can, daisy." I plead, not even wanting to think about what would happen if she didn't. I can't lose her!

"Okay, I will try." She replies, her voice silent and more of a mumble.

That's not good. I quickly concentrate on the pull once more and save the direction on my phone before the connection breaks. I stop, allowing myself to take a breath.

Even though it relieves me to hear Wanda's voice, it also makes me more anxious. Her condition isn't getting better and whatever they are giving her, it's not for her well-being. The fear that she might not be able to communicate anymore raises inside me and I gulp, she'd be lost then. If I don't have the connection, I am not able to find the way.