Chapter 36: Back at the compound

Pov y/n

When I wake up, I'm pretty much laying on top of Wanda. Looks like we both moved in our sleep. Both her arms are securely wrapped around me and I yawn and nuzzle my head back into her neck.

"We're landing in about five minutes." I hear Steve say and huff a little because that means that Wanda and I have to get up. I hoist myself up a little and place a few kisses around Wanda's face. She starts to smile, which makes me smile as well.

"Wake up, daisy. We're landing soon." I whisper and press a soft kiss to the shell of her ear. She hums and her eyes open.

"Good morning, beautiful." I greet her and she scrunches up her nose a little which is the most adorable thing ever.

"Good morning, pretty girl." She replies, her accent thick and I get little chills.

I sit back, ignoring the stinging this causes in my leg and smile at her. Wanda sits up as well and brushes her hair out of her face with one hand.
I carefully get off her after watching her for a few more seconds. Wanda stretches a little before she sits up right as well and the sofa underneath us morphs back into the usual seats.
Her magic really is practical sometimes.

We buckle up and a few seconds later, the jet lands. Mom runs around the jet a little, grabbing things that she'll take off board with us. Sam and Steve get up from their seats and I see that as my sign to get up as well. Wanda instantly is by my side and supports me since I am still injured. I almost forgot that I have a stone in my chest but when I move, I am remembered of it and let out a frustrated noise.

"It's good to see you two again." Sam says, supporting my other side and I give him a little smile.

"It's good to see you too." I reply and he nods. We talk a little further about what he did and he tells us that he did get imprisoned but Tony freed them and I am surprised to hear that.

"Speaking of, where is Tony?" I ask as we enter the compound. It is really weird to be back here. The last time I was here, I still called it my home. Now it isn't anymore.

"We don't really know. He was in New York, when aliens attacked the city but after that we didn't see him." Sam answers and I hum.

It doesn't sound like Tony to just disappear and especially not to leave the compound after he was so proud to present it. So, whatever caused his missing, it sure isn't something small.

We walk further through the compound and towards one of the meeting rooms. I hear voices coming from there and freeze when I recognize one in particular, secretary Ross.

Even with Steve and Mom around, I don't want to meet Ross, worried he's gonna come for us and put us into cells. Wanda stops as well and even though Sam seems like he would've continued to walk, he stops with us as he is still helping to hold me up.
I hear Mom and Steve talking to Ross and share a glance with Wanda.

Her eyes show the same worry as mine and I nibble at my bottom lip, waiting for anything to happen.
Her hold on me gets slightly tighter as if she was worried that someone's gonna come and take me away. But I can't judge her for that as I am worried about that as well. I grasp the fabric of her shirt, not ready to let her go.

For a few more minutes, I hear Mom and Steve talk to Ross before he suddenly doesn't answer anymore.

"You can come in now." Steve calls and Wanda hesitantly starts to move. I follow along and when we enter the room, there is no sight of Ross. Where did he go so quickly?

Who I do see is Rhodey. He's sitting in a wheelchair and I wonder what happened to him and if it's related to the fight at the airport or something completely different.