Chapter 42: Removal

TW: Pain

Pov y/n

My eyes shoot open again and I look at Wanda in a panic. Her expression is similar to mine and she glances towards where Shuri is working. I don't dare to look but it doesn't feel like she is done. Wanda's eyes glow red for a second and without needing to communicate with her, I know that it's the anger towards that alien who stabbed the stone into me. Her eyes find mine again and she forces a smile onto her face. 

"Shuri, how long will this take?" I hear Mom's voice from a few feet away but keep my eyes on Wanda. Even though she is more or less visibly freaking out as well, it keeps me calm to look into her eyes. 

"Well, it surely isn't done within the next few minutes." Shuri replies, sounding stressed as well.

"I hate to say that but you need to hurry up, we might not have the time we expected to have." Mom says, which makes my stomach twist. That doesn't sound like there are only two aliens out there like the last time. 

On the way up, Shuri told us about a dome-like shield that protects Wakanda and nothing can get inside without permission. That's the only thought I'm hanging onto right now and that keeps me halfway sane. 

"Alright, I'll see what I can do." Shuri replies and in the next few movements, I can tell she is hurrying.

"I'm sorry, y/n, this might hurt a little more now." She apologizes and I realize that she really tried her best to make this as less painful as possible. I clench my jaw and whimper a little but what chance do I have? Mom's step get more silent again, so she is moving around.

"Get your ass back on the table, Vision." She says harshly and in any other situation, I would have laughed about this but not when me opening my mouth would only lead to me making noises at the pain. Wanda's eyes dart back and forth between the window front and me. She is clearly stressed by this whole situation. 

The next steps that enter are my Mom again.
"I got earpieces for you, just in case." She says and I see Wanda taking them, putting one into her ear. 

She looks at me before sliding the second one into a pocket of her suit. Smart choice, probably. I'm not sure, if I could handle listening to a potential fight or a strategy talk right now. My free hand tightly holds onto the table I am lying on and I close my eyes again, grunting a bit. Wanda's thumb doesn't stop to rub over my knuckles or circles onto the back of my hand but I can tell that she is stressed out too.

"Wanda, you stay up here with y/n and Vision. We will handle the situation down there. Whatever happens, don't leave y/n out of sight and make sure, the stone gets out of her." Mom gives Wanda instructions, who nods.

"I will make sure of that." She replies and I hear steps again. This time, Mom comes closer and I open my eyes again. She kneels down in front of me. Stress and tension are written all over her face but her eyes are still soft.

"Stay strong, I love you, malyschka (baby)." She says and leans forward to kiss my forehead. I weakly smile. 

"I love you too, Mom." I reply and she smiles shortly before she gets up and her steps get more and more distant again. I hear some rustling in the room and exhale a little shakily.

"Wanda, I'm scared." I admit and she nods and cups my cheek with one hand.

"Me too, but nothing will happen to you, I promise." She says and I let her words settle in and decide to believe them. What other choice do I have? 

There are a lot of steps moving away from us and I have to fight the urge to get up and see what's going on outside. I think it really is better if I don't know that.