𝗇𝗂𝗇𝖾

amelia
december 20, 2021
----
We hop into Luis's car and the scent of cologne and deodorant fills my nose. He switches the car on and I give him my address. He puts it into his phone and starts backing out of the parking lot.

"Uh, thanks for giving me a ride." I awkwardly pipe up.

"No problem." he smiles softly. "I would hate it if you got kidnapped or something."

"No, you wouldn't." I tease. "That would be your dream come true."

He looks at me with wide eyes. "What? No, not at all. I would be worried about you."

I was shocked. "Oh, wow, that's new. Luis Mendoza actually cares about me?"

He stutters for words. "Well, anyone would be worried about you, not just me. And I wouldn't let Connie or Julie walk home alone at night. So it's not just you."

"That's sweet, I guess." I sigh while looking out at the calm night.

I could feel Luis's eyes dart from me to the road. "You . . ." he sighs.

"What?" I question.

He shakes his head. "Nothing."

I look at him with an eyebrow raised. "You're acting weird."

"No, I'm not." he shakes his head. "I'm perfectly fine."

I smirk. "Are you high? Did you have a little smoke break after having to deal with me for hours?"

He lets out a low laugh. "For sure. That's exactly what I did."

"Lucky duck," I mutter.

My house soon came into view and I thanked Luis for the ride. I hurry inside and lock the front door behind me.

"Lia!" I hear Lily sigh of relief. "Thank God you're okay!"

I spin to face her and raise one eyebrow in confusion. "Why wouldn't I be okay?"

"You've been gone for hours and you didn't even reply to our calls or texts." Lily snaps.

"Ooh . . ." I mumble. "Right. Sorry about that."

"Geez, come here." she wraps me up in her arms.

I grunted from how hard she was squeezing me. "Okay, okay, okay! Lily t-that's enough!"

She lets me go and I gasp for air. "What were you even doing anyway?" she asks me.

"Playing hockey with a teammate."

She smiles. "Was it Luis?"

"How did you know?" I chuckle.

She shrugs. "I have my ways."

"You're creepy." I joke. "Now if you don't mind, I'm gonna go take a shower."

"As you should." She nods. "You're very sweaty."

I chuckle while shaking my head. "Goodnight."

"Night." she smiles again.

She walks back into her room and shuts the door. I sigh and walk into my bathroom.

----

My alarm blares in my ears and I gasp myself awake. I groan quietly as I shut it off.

It's too early for this.

I force myself out of bed and trudge into the bathroom. I get myself ready and change into some black leggings and a gray sweatshirt. I didn't care about looking nice. It would all be covered up by my hockey gear anyway.

I sling my bag over my shoulder and make my way downstairs where Lily was already waiting for me. "Ready?" she asks.

I nod. "I guess so."

"Do you wanna eat anything first?"

I shake my head. "No, thanks. If I eat before practice, I'll feel sick."

"Understandable." she shakes her keys in my face. "Now c'mon."

I nearly fall asleep in the car multiple times but Lily always interrupts my slumber with her voice. I slowly look at her and stare.

"What? . . ." I mutter.

"Are you even paying attention to me?"

"Not really." I yawn.

"I asked how your night was last night. You barely said a word to me."

"That's because I was gross and sweaty. You even said it yourself."

She laughs quietly. "Okay, whatever. How was it playing hockey with Luis?"

I felt my heartbeat speed up when she said his name. I shrug. "I dunno . . ."

I feel her eyes burn into me before looking back at the road. "So . . . what? Was it good? Bad? C'mon, tell me."

"It was fun. He's not as bad as I thought he was." I explain. "But he's still annoying."

I see her smirk out of my peripheral vision. "Alrighty."

"He is!" I spit. "We're not friends. We're just . . . on better terms."

She continues to smile. "I didn't say anything. I'm happy for you."

I roll my eyes. "Jesus . . .

We arrive at the rink and I thank her before hopping out of the car. I swing my bag over my shoulder and hear her car quickly speed away. I take in a deep breath before walking inside. As I start to make my way to the locker rooms, I feel someone grab my hand.

"Woah, woah, woah," a boy's voice calls out behind me. "Where are you going, hot stuff?"

I spin around and see this kid with dirty blonde hair, green eyes, and a huge smirk on his face. "I'm sorry?" I question.

"Holy fuck." he looks me up and down. "You're gorgeous."

"Uh . . ." I look around nervously. "Thanks? . . ."

He suddenly pulls me to him and squishes me onto him harshly. I gasp and try pushing him away. "Um, c-can you get off please?"

He shakes his head. "Not until I can kiss those soft lips of yours."

Oh, this is gross.

"No, thanks." I push my hands onto his chest. "I don't know you."

"I'm Noah," he states.

"Cool. Well, uh, Noah, if you could please leave me alone-"

He pushes me back onto him harder, causing my words to get cut off. "No, no, no. You're staying with me."

My eyes widen slightly with fear. "I gotta get to practice. My coach will rip you apart if you make me late."

"Who cares about practice?" he scoffs. "We can have more fun."

This was making me really uncomfortable. "Noah, I-"

He then starts pulling me away somewhere. I shout and try my hardest to get out of his grip. "Stop! Ugh, let me go!"

He wouldn't listen. I shouted louder and hoped I would get someone's attention.

"Hey!" Luis shouts. "Get your fucking hands off of her!"

----