𝗍𝗐𝖾𝗇𝗍𝗒-𝗍𝗁𝗋𝖾𝖾

amelia
january 20, 2022
----
I skate onto the ice and Bombay hands me my hockey stick. I hum in confusion and he darts his eyes to the goal.

"Show me what you got."

"What?" I sigh. "Coach, you know I can play."

"Yeah, but your hand could still affect it. Go on." He shoos me away.

I sigh but obey. I feel everyone's eyes on me which makes me more nervous.

Is Luis watching me?

A shaky breath escapes my lips as I wind the stick up. I smack the puck toward the goal but miss completely. A stinging pain shoots through my arm and I whimper lightly.

"You okay?" Bombay asks.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Can I try again?"

He nods and I slide another puck over to myself. I nervously wind it up again but miss once more. The pain in my hand grows worse, causing me to drop my stick.

"Damn it . . ." I mumble.

"We don't have to practice if you're not ready," Bombay reassures.

I shake my head. "I-I'll be right back."

I quickly skate off the rink and hold my tears back.

I thought my hand was healed.

Luis's eyes glue onto me but I ignore his stare. As I was walking, I bumped into someone.

"Watch it, fatass!" this boy with blonde hair growls.

"Sorry . . ." I mumble quietly.

"Damn, Noah was right about you." he scoffs. "You should hit the gym."

I swallow. This wasn't helping my self-esteem.

If my hand wasn't hurting so bad, I would crane-kick this bitch.

"I'm not in the mood for this shit today."

"Don't even bother. You can't even fit through the door."

"Dude, shut the fuck up." Luis scoffs from behind me. "Leave her alone."

"Oh, hello, Mendoza. Have you come to protect your girlfriend?"

Luis clenches his jaw. "Leave her the fuck alone."

The kid laughs. "I can't believe you're trying to help this cow. You must be an idiot for dating her."

"I said leave her alone!" Luis shouts.

"Why don't you go back to the farm with all of your friends, fattie?" the kid smirks at me.

I feel tears about to pour out of my eyes. I quickly run to the locker room and hear the kid scoff.

"That's right! Runaway, crybaby!"

"You're such a fucking pig, Zach!" Luis shouts.

I burst into tears right as I entered the locker room and heard Luis run in behind me.

"Lia." he sighs. "He didn't mean that."

"Just leave me alone, please," I beg.

He shakes his head. "No, I'm not gonna leave you alone."

"I don't want you around someone like me!" I cry out.

"What?" he mumbles. "What do you mean?"

I wipe the never-ending stream of tears from my cheeks. "You don't deserve to date someone like me."

I see his face drop. "Baby, that's not true at all."

My bottom lip quivers. "Don't lie to me."

"I'm not lying." he whimpers. "I'm so lucky to be dating you. If I didn't like you, I wouldn't be dating you in the first place."

I sigh but don't say anything. "Zach is a stupid piece of shit who finds joy in making other people miserable," Luis explains.

"But, he's right Luis . . ." A small whimper leaves my mouth. "I am fat and I'm disgusting and-"

His eyes widen. "Don't say that. Don't let his words get into your head."

I whimper and start walking away from him. He grabs my hand and stares at me.

"Don't say that." he shakes his head. "You're beautiful and you know that."

"If I knew that, I would feel better about myself. I'm not Mindy."

I regret the words as soon as they come out of my mouth. Why the hell was I bringing up Mindy at a time like this?

He furrows his eyebrows. "What does Mindy have to do with any of this? I don't even talk to her anymore. You know that."

"But you used to."

"And?" he scoffs. "She means nothing to me anymore. You are my world, Amelia."

I bite my lower lip to stop it from quivering. I wipe a tear from my cheek. He takes a step closer to me. "You believe me, right?"

"Luis . . ." I swallow nervously. "If you don't wanna date me, just tell me."

"Baby, no. I wanna date you. I wanna stay with you so badly, you don't understand."

I choke on my words. "Please, don't lie to me."

"I'm not lying!" he desperately sighs. "When I think of not having you in my life, I-I feel physically ill."

"Luis . . ." I quiver.

"No. Lia, stop." he puts his hands on my arms. "You're overthinking this."

"I'm not-"

"Yes, you are. You're letting his words get to you when you know they aren't true."

I blink my tears away and bite my lower lip without saying anything. "You're beautiful and I would never lie about that," he adds. "What I used to think about Mindy means nothing to me anymore, okay? You are my only focus."

I look up at him. "But-"

"No, no, no." he cuts me off. "Stop."

I snap my mouth shut and wait for him to speak again. "I love you." he sighs in satisfaction.

My eyes brighten. "Really?"

He nods. "Yes. Jesus, you don't understand how long I've wanted to say that."

A smile grows on my face and I swing my arms around his neck. He hugged me back tightly and I felt okay again.

"I love you so much." he muffles into my neck.

I sniff. "I love you too."

----