𝗍𝖾𝗇

amelia
december 21, 2021
----
Our heads spun to face Luis, who was huffing in anger. I sigh with relief and a small smile creeps on my face. Noah yanks me next to him and grips onto my waist.

"What did you just say?" Noah scoffs.

"I said," Luis growls. "Get your fucking hands off of her."

Noah puffs his chest out to seem tough. "You can't tell me what to do."

Luis steps in front of him. "I think I can. Don't make me mess you up like I did a few weeks ago."

Noah's face goes red with anger. "I wasn't even doing anything."

"You were trying to rape Mindy. That's something." his arms cross over his chest.

"Why did you even care?" Noah scoffs. "You didn't even like her."

"Yeah, but that doesn't mean that I won't protect her from creepy dudes like you." Luis scoffs back. "And I'll do the same for Amelia and anyone else."

"Get back tough guy." Noah pokes his chest. "She's not interested in you."

He tries to pull me away but Luis quickly grabs my waist. He yanks me back behind him and quickly lets me go.

Noah gasps and his eyes dart from me to Luis. "Give her back!"

"No, dude." Luis shakes his head. "You're talking to her like she's an object."

"Cause she is." Noah chuckles. "All women are."

My eyes widen slightly. Luis clenches his jaw, along with his fists. "Get out."

Noah cracks his knuckles. "Make me."

Luis chuckles. "I'm not dealing with your shit again. Leave."

"Or what?"

Luis looks back at me and whispers, "Go into the locker room."

I furrow my brows. "What? Why?"

"Just trust me."

I slowly back away from the two boys and hurry into the locker room. A few minutes go by before Luis enters. I immediately looked down at one of his fists that was dripping blood.

My eyes widen. "What-"

He holds his clean hand up while shaking his head. "I'm fine."

"Luis . . ." I whisper.

"I'm fine, Lia." he defends. "It's probably just a hairline fracture."

"Well, let's at least clean it up so you don't get blood on everything."

He waves me away. "Nah, I got it. Go get on the ice."

"No, it's fine. It won't take long."

His phone suddenly dings and he sighs. "Sorry, one second."

I wait patiently and try not to seem nosy. "Who is it?"

"My mom." he shrugs.

"What does she want?"

"She's just wishing me a happy birthday."

I gasped and he looked like he immediately regretted saying that. "It's your birthday?"

"Yeah, but it's not a huge deal-"

"Not a huge deal?" I cut him off. "This is a huge deal!"

"It's just a birthday." he shrugs. "And besides, I'm just turning seventeen. It's not that interesting."

I squeal. "I don't care! I'm still gonna act like it's a big deal!"

"Nooo." he sighs while shaking his head. "Please, don't."

"Too bad." I smile.

He chuckles. "You're a real handful."

"And you're gonna have to deal with me for a while now."

He playfully rolls his eyes. "Ugh, great."

I laugh and make my way out to the ice while he stays back and tends to his hand.

----

I plop next to Luis while lifting my mask. He chugged down his water and I looked at him.

"Okay," I start. "That Noah guy . . . you said you dealt with him before. What did you mean?"

He looks back at me and sighs. "Well, he's a huge creep. He hits on practically every girl he sees and tries to . . . you know . . ."

"Oh, yeah, I know." I nod.

"Yeah. Anyway, a few weeks ago when Mindy and I were still "friends", I caught him trying to do stuff with her. She, of course, wasn't into the idea and luckily I was there to help her. I don't wanna imagine what that must've felt like for her . . . and you."

"Yeah." I nod. "It wasn't very fun. I'm glad you were there though."

"I heard you screaming for help and I was the first one to help you out." he shrugs. "I wasn't just gonna let that creep take advantage of you."

I nod. "And thank you for that. Most boys don't do that."

"Yeah . . ." he mumbles. "Those kinds of guys are assholes."

I chuckle. "I'm glad I have you as a friend."

He smiles. "I'm glad as well."

I smile and clear my throat. "So, about your birthday, I was thinking we could-"

"No, no, no." he quickly cuts me off while chuckling. "We aren't doing anything."

"Yes, we are." I nod.

"Nooo," he whines. "I don't wanna."

"Please, Luis? Just one thing." I beg.

He hesitates but sighs. "Fine, one thing."

I clap and squeal. "Yay! Okay, how would you feel about watching the sunrise with me?"

He raises one eyebrow in confusion. "Watch the sunrise?"

I nod. "Yeah. It's pretty."

"Hm . . ." he hums. "Where would we watch it?"

"At this old baseball field by my house. There's a treehouse that has a perfect view of the sky."

A small smile paints his lips. "I guess so."

"Yay!" I clap. "Thank you!"

He chuckles. "No problem."

----