𝗍𝗐𝖾𝗇𝗍𝗒-𝗈𝗇𝖾

amelia
january 17, 2022
----
We walk outside and the bright sun blasts my eyes, making the snow super bright. Izzy giggles and immediately starts running around.

"Izzy!" Luis shouts. "Stay close to me, please!"

She groans but obeys. She runs back over to us and walks a few inches in front of him. Luis smacks his hand into mine and pulls me closer to him. I smile and kiss his cheek. We talk about whatever and he keeps a close eye on Izzy. She squats down over some flowers that are poking out of the fresh snow and pulls one from the ground.

"Here you go, Amy!" she hands it to me.

"Oh, thank you." I smile.

"Where's mine?" Luis asks.

She plucks up another one and holds it out to him. "Right here!"

Luis smiles and takes the flower from her. "Thank you."

She skips ahead of us while stomping on some sheets of ice. He twirls the flower around in his fingers before placing it behind my ear. "I can't tell which one is prettier. You . . . or the flower."

I chuckle lightly. "Well, it's obviously the flower."

He laughs while nudging me gently. Izzy suddenly gasps and begins running away from us. Luis immediately lets go of my hand and chases after her.

"Izzy!" he shouts. "Hey! Izzy, stop it!"

We catch up to her and see a dog licking her face. She giggles loudly as she pets behind its ears. Luis crosses his arms over his chest.

"Izzy Mendoza. What did I say about running off like that?" he lectures.

She pouts. "I'm sorry. I just wanted to pet the doggy."

Luis sighs. "It's okay. But next time please just wait for me, okay?"

"Okay." she nods. "Oh, this is for you."

She handed him a flower that was a beautiful lavender color. He chuckles. "What's this for?"

"For your memory box since you gave the other one to Amy." she smiled at me. "I'm not offended, don't worry."

Luis and I chuckle softly. He places the new flower behind Izzy's ear. "Hold on to it for me until we get home. Thank you."

She kisses him on the cheek and looks back at the dog. "Bye, doggy."

The dog barks at her and she giggles. "I gotta go!"

I laugh. "You can see it later."

"Okay!" she smiles. "Bye, bye, Buttercup!"

"Is Buttercup its name now?" Luis asks while picking her up into his arms.

She nods. "Yup!"

Luis and I both snicker and start walking away from the dog. It walks in front of Luis and starts barking.

"What's wrong?" Luis asks it.

Izzy giggles and wiggles out of Luis's grip. He sets her down and she pets Buttercup's head. "Can we keep it?"

Luis shakes his head. "No, we can't. It's not ours."

"It doesn't have a collar though." she pouts.

Luis kneels next to her. "But it's still not ours."

"We can make it ours though." she sighs.

"I'm sorry, amor." he rubs her back. "You know mom would never allow it."

She sighs. "You're right."

The dog whimpers sadly and Izzy comforts it. "I'm sorry, Buttercup. We can't keep you."

Buttercup gives her puppy dog eyes and she stares at Luis. "Please, Lu?"

"Let me talk to Mom, okay?"

She smiles and kisses Buttercup's head. "See you later!"

She then grabs another flower out of her pocket and holds it out to Buttercup. Buttercup gently grabs it with its mouth and then runs off. Izzy smiles.

"Okay, let's go," she orders.

Luis chuckles and we follow behind her.

----

Luis places Izzy's gifted flower into a small wooden box on his desk. He locks it with a key and places it in a drawer. He then grabs the one from behind my ear and sets it on his nightstand.

"Are you trying to take Izzy's gift away from me?" I tease?

He chuckles. "No, I'm just making sure it stays safe. She would be devastated if it got crushed."

He crawls next to me and wraps me in his arms. A small smile creeps onto my lips and I brush a strand of hair off of his forehead. "How are you so perfect?"

He snickers lightly. "What do you mean? I have flaws."

"Oh, yeah? Name one."

"Well, my nose is kind of-"

"Perfect?" I interrupt.

He glares at me. "Big."

I roll my eyes. "For sure. What's another?"

"My eyebrows are bushy."

"So? At least you keep them tame."

He licks his lips with a smile. "Okay, well, my facial structure is weird."

I gasp. "What? No! That's like your best feature!"

He laughs loudly. "Seriously? That's the thing you like most over anything about me?"

"Yes! Your face is literally sculpted perfectly."

He rubs a hand over his face as he lets out another deep laugh. "Oh my God. You're so funny."

"I'm being serious!" I say as I hop on top of his chest. "You're the most beautiful human being I've ever seen in my life."

He smiles up at me. "And you're the most beautiful human being I've ever seen."

I feel my cheeks flush and I quickly cover up my face with my hands. He runs his fingers up my back until they reach the back of my neck. "Lia."

I peeked an eye at him through my fingers. "Hm?"

"You're perfect."

I squeal like a little girl while shaking my head. "Stop!"

He chuckles and removes my hands from my face. "I would never lie to you."

I smack my head on his chest and keep my legs straddled around his waist. "I know."

He kisses the top of my head. "You're cute when you're embarrassed."

"I am not!"

He laughs softly and kisses my temple. "I love you, Amelia Peterson."

I look up at his adorable face with a smile. "I love you more, Luis Mendoza."

----