Hello there!

"Dont hang up... dont hang up... I'm coming.... Bobby, for goodness sake stand still, man!" Tom panted as they danced around the hallway.  He'd just come back from the park and was getting Bobby settled when his phone rang in his pocket.

Although he had no way of knowing, his Spidey senses told him it was important.

Finally, Bobby wrangled, lead tossed to the side, and phone extracted he pressed the answer button and almost shouted down the phone "Hi. Sorry. I was taking Bobby's lead and harness off. Wee devil was being awkward. Tom speaking, can I help you?"

He balanced the phone between his ear and shoulder as he kicked off his trainers and padded through to the kitchen, stripping off his muddy dog walking trousers. He almost dropped it when a delicate and almost frightened voice floated down the line to him.

"Tom? It's me. It's Ali.........."

He sat down at the kitchen table with a thump, his heart pounding. It was her. It was really her.

"Ali? Oh my God. Ali darling! How wonderful you called. No,well, I mean, not wonderful why you're calling, but it's wonderful to hear your voice. Are you ok? No, doh! Of course you're not ok. How stupid...." he rambled incoherently, and instantly, Ali started to smile and relax.

"Tom, please... take a breath... Tom?" She pleaded gently.  He paused, realising he was running out of breath.

"Sorry! It's just... oh hell, Ali, it's so good to hear your voice. I've been so worried about you, darling." His voice was a perfect echo of his feelings.

Ali smiled and leaned back in the chair, feeling his care and warmth sweeping over her. "Oh Tom, it's me who should apologise to you. I really made a mountain out of a molehill. I was just tired and more than a bit emotional.  It was the middle of the night, and I was alone...oh Tom..." she trailed off, suddenly feeling stupid and shy. What the hell had she done? The emotion of the night time coming back to haunt her. God, she needed a hug.

Tom listened as he sat, wriggling into a pair of joggers that had been over the back of the kitchen chair. He smiled, relieved and amused in equal measure. Ali was exactly what he thought. Sweet and kind and funny and so, so needing a hug. As she trailed off, he was sure he could hear a little sniffle, and he knew he had to step up.  In his own inimitable style.

"Alison?"

"Yes, Thomas?"

"You did absolutely the right thing.  That man was a complete wanker to have upset you like that." He grinned as he heard her shocked reaction.

"Oh!!!!!!"

"You disagree love?"

"N-no. I just didn't... I mean... what you said..."

"What? Wanker? If you don't like it, I can substitute the insult of your choice? I actually do swear, you know. Contrary to popular belief, I'm not Captain America, I'm Loki of FUCKING Asgard!!!" He laughed loudly and Alison joined in.

"Oh Tom. Thank you. Thank you so much." She curled up in the sofa and stared into the middle distance as she imagined his face. The feeling growing in the pit of her stomach confirming that this was a real conversation and not just some fevered fangirl dream.

"So. Now that I've offended your ears and shocked you to the core, are you still as frightened, love? Please say no, I couldn't bear to think of you all alone like that."

Ali let out a breath, a long breath. "No. Not anymore." She said quietly, her silent tears drying on her cheeks. She was almost tempted to tell him about the hug but something made her hold back.