Priorities...

"Thomas! Language! Dreadful boy!" The voice on the phone was unmistakeable. Tom winced and closed his eyes.

"Sorry, mum, I thought it was Emma I'd called." He apologised, feeling ten years old again, being caught fibbing about stealing a chocolate biscuit from the fridge 5 minutes before tea.

"And THAT is supposed to make it any better??"

"No mum, sorry, mum." He made sure to sound exactly as admonished as he felt.

"Now, aside from calling your dear devoted mother an effing twat...." even she had to let out a little laugh, "I suppose you want to know how things are this end? And why I'm answering and not the 'twat' as you so delicately put it?"

"Mum, please stop saying that. It's making me uncomfortable! And yes, how's Bobby?"

There was a frosty silence, and Tom instantly realised what he'd done. He smacked a hand to his forehead and groaned.

"And Eva, of course... that goes without saying...." For the second time in one phone call, he wished the ground would open and swallow him.

"Yes. Of course it does THOMAS. Well, Emma isn't here because she's collecting Bobby, who is absolutely fine, if a little less hairy and a little more plastery than when you left." She paused and then said, "Tom, I know things are all over the place right now, and Bobby is like your little boy, but really son? The first thing you ask - and get so articulate about - is your DOG? Priorities my boy. Priorities."

"Jes... jeezie peeps, mum. You still dont take prisoners, do you?" He almost forgot himself again and rolled his eyes, this time at himself.

"Well, at your age, I shouldn't have to!! Now, scolding aside, Ali is doing better. Not well, but better. She's still in. They want to monitor her for a bit longer, but she should still be on track for completing all her treatment by the time you're back."

Tom let out a hugh sigh of relief. "Thanks, mum. Look, I have to go, I have a couple of interviews to do, but ask Em to call me at....8pm your time? I'll be done by then for a while, and we can talk. I promise not to call her a tw...."

"Thomas..." interrupted the warning growl, this time tinged with a laugh.

"Bye mum, love you..." he laughed, having successfully teased her back onto his side.

"Love you too, son. Take care!"

Diana Hiddleston hung up the phone with a smile. "So. What would you like to do first, my dear? Emma won't be back with Bobs till a bit later. We could walk to the bridge for coffee?"

She turned to the pale but smiling woman on the sofa. She hadn't lied, Ali was still being monitored, but not from the hospital. Just a little checkup every fortnight to make sure everything was ok, with instructions to go to A&E the second she felt unwell.

"After all, if you're to spring your surprise visit, I think we need to start building up your strength, don't you?"

Ali stood and hugged her newest friend. "Thank you, Diana. You really are too good to me. I don't deserve you taking so much time out to look after me."

"My dear, why should I not? You are part of this family, whether you like it or not!" She came and put a motherly arm around Eva's shoulders. "Ali, now you just listen to me,ok? Tom and Emma, and I have no doubt Sarah too when she meets you, think the world of you. To me? That is a priceless recommendation. Why should I not also? And," she took her arm away, taking her hand instead, "everyone needs a mum of some sort when they're hurting. I may not have the right, and I apologise, but it hurts my heart and since..."

"Oh... Mum...." Ali burst into tears and hugged her tightly. "Thank you." They stood in her little house, hugging and crying and bonding. The warm hug, the genuine affection, all combined to make Ali feel so at home in the arms of a woman she'd hardly known until a few weeks ago.

"Now, come on." Diana pulled back and, wiping both her and Ali's tears away with her sleeve, said, "Time for that walk. Then, we can get our plan into action. Get your coat. You've pulled!"

"Mum!" Ali laughed as Diana winked.

"I may be old dear, but I'm not dead yet!"

The two women left the house and slowly made their way for coffee and fresh air.

As they walked along, Ali looked around. She'd lived her for so long, it barely registered anymore. This morning, though? This morning, she saw the trees lining the path, heavy with the pollen and buzz of early autumn. She heard the kids in the playground of the school screaming in delight as they chased a ball or even each other. Everything, absolutely everything, was turned up to the ten.

It was the oldest, corniest line in the book. When you stood to lose the most, everything seemed much more valuable.

As they approached the little coffee shop, it's front door wide open in welcome, she paused. Taking a deep breath, she turned to Diana.

"Can I ask you something?" She said quietly. "Something really personal?"

"Of course, if I can answer, I will. Come on, let's get that coffee first, though. Looks like you need it." She smiled gently. "And by the sounds of your question, so will I."

She nudged Ali gently, a smile playing on her lips. The two women walked in, ordered, and sat down.

As they waited for their coffees, Diana took Ai's hand and looked at her softly.

"Now, what did you want to ask me?"

She took a breath. "I would like your permission." She felt her legs turn not to jelly but to water. Thank God she was sitting down. Diana smiled. She had an inkling where this was going.
"You know I love Tom, very VERY much, and I think - I know - he loves me. Well, I'd like your permission to... to ask..." she felt almost faint. This was far more terrifying than even being told she had cancer.

Diana saved the day.

"Yes, Ali, I would be honoured to be your Mother In Law. "