Battle lines...

November 19th....

Darling,

Hope you're having a ball in New York, and Robert and Susan are treating you like the God we know you are!

Bobs and I had a laugh today. He chased a squirrel halfway up the fallen tree on the hill. When he realised where he was, he just stood and howled like he was on Pride Rock until I got him down.  I took some photos, I'll Whatsapp them to you, and break our no phone message code just this once. He's just sooooo cute!

I hope the post-production stuff is going well? You said you'll be home on the 6th, won't you? Hope so, your mum has organised a family dinner for the weekend after. Looks like we'll be the centre of attention (again), so remember to bring her a present from NY - how about a nice scarf from Saks? Or Bloomingdales? You need ALL the Brownie points you can get since you forgot to text Sarah on her birthday! I reminded you twice as well.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to having you home, love.  That week in October now seems so long ago. You'd hardly got here, dumped your smelly socks, and then dashed away again.

You need to have a wee think about what you'd like for Christmas love.  I have a few ideas, but if there's anything you have a hankering for - and no, a life-size Victoria sponge is NOT an option, so let me know?

Bobs has been such a clingy boy all this week. Ever since I had my check up. I must have taken too long for his little Majesty, ha ha!

He's just sitting and looking at me as I'm writing now. He just seems to look at me as if he knows something I don't. It's beginning to creep me out, if I'm honest.

Meant to say, Checkup lasted about half an hour - I got my final scans and bloods taken on Monday for my sign off from the hospital. They'll take about a week to ten days to process, so I'll be all singing, all dancing, normal by the time you get back.

Well, as normal as I ever was, ha ha !!

Well, as usual, Bobs is barking at the postie, so signing off to rescue said postie and hand him your letter since I actually have a stamp for a change!!

Write soon, darling.

All my love, Ali xxxxx

"Morning Ali, how are you doing? And how are YOU, young master Bobby?" Jimmy, their usual postie, crouched and rubbed Bobby's head affectionately. He slipped him a little doggy biscuit with a wink to Ali.

"Just one for you today, Ali. Looks like your results.  I'm glad it's all behind you. You've come through such a lot." He smiled, handing over the important looking envelope. Ali didn't smile back. She looked at it, and her face paled. It was too soon. Far too soon.

"Thanks, Jimmy," she whispered. "I... I better... eh give eh Bobs... eh... his.. eh Breakfast, yes breakfast." She shook as she took it from him.

Jimmy had known Tom for years since he'd moved in, in actual fact. When Ali moved in, he'd found her every bit as charming and delightful as he would expect Tom's Fiancée to be.  He really liked her, and they'd built up a friendship over the intervening months.

"Ali?" He held onto the envelope, making her look at him. She reluctantly met his gaze, and he could see fear in her eyes.  "What is it, Ali?"

"Too quick...for routine, it's too quick... must be... urgent.." she whispered, feeling faint. "Something must be wrong..." she took a step back into the hall and sat on the bottom step of the stairs. Looking first at Jimmy, then at the manilla envelope that held her fate, she tried not to cry. Tears dripped down her white face.

"Do you want me to stay while you open it?" Jimmy asked gently, putting his postbag down on the hall floor. She shook her head.

"No, you have your deliveries to make, but thank you. I'll... I'll be ok. Whatever it is, I'll be ok."