The Sound of.....

Emmy lay sleeping in her car seat as the luxury SUV negotiated the narrow road from the helipad at the hotel to their chalet.  She'd taken to flying like a duck to water.

It had helped immensely that her Mummy had been there, her favourite teddy and milk had been there. Even her Daddy had turned up, meaning the noise of her first plane, and then helicopter, made no odds to her.

Ali leaned back, relaxed and dozing a little, against Tom's chest as he wrapped his arms around her.  "So, how did filming go then? All done?" she murmured.

Tom smiled, "well, I have a little request." He paused, and he could feel her stiffen, just slightly. He grinned. "We have to move location for the next bit, as you know.

"Go on." She answered carefully, making an effort to keep calm and hear him out.

"Wellllllll, I wondered if.... maybe.... Would you like to be in the next episodes?" He waited, baited breath.

"What?" Her eyes flew open, and she twisted in her seat. "But I'm not...what about..." she looked at Emmy, still sound.

"Well, I thought you might like to be a supporting artist in the Majorca-based episodes? Nothing major, no lines, just be on-set and enjoy the atmosphere. That way, we can all be together. Emmy, too. A real family affair? Days off, we can go to the beach, the mountains, wherever we want."  His eyes shone, and his smile was wide.

Ali didn't even think about it. "Oh yes! What a WONDERFUL idea!"

Tom kissed her softly, "Thank you, darling. Thank you so much." He squeezed her gently.  As she felt his embrace, she didn't think her life could get any better.

She was so, so wrong.

As the SUV pulled to a stop by a small clump of pine trees, Tom grabbed her and plonked his hands in front of her eyes.

"What? Oh, Tom! I can't see a thing! Take your hands away!" She laughed softly.

Shhhhh, " he whispered in her ear. "Close your eyes, love." His breath was warm, and his arms warmer. He had missed her so much.

The door opened, and she felt the cold air hit them.  Scrambling out, leaving Emmy safely tucked up, they crunched through the snow.  Still blind, she walked carefully but confidently. The afternoon light was fading, the rosy glow of the wintery sun disappearing behind the mountains behind them.

After a few minutes, Tom paused.  Ali halted, and she felt her feet hit more solid ground.  It sounded wooden, like a  duckboard pathway. "Ok, you can look." He whispered, kissing her softly.

He took a step back, watching her face. This was going to be good.  She opened her eyes and, in one move, gasped, covered her mouth, and burst into tears.

In front of her, a two storey wooden chalet.  The eaves carved into almost a lace-like pattern, the grey-shingled roof had a single chimney poking through.  A delicate trail of white smoke curled into the still air blue air.

The chalet, a rich golden colour, had flower boxes at each of the windows and a warm.glow emanated from all of them. The veranda was covered, and on it, little fur rug covered pods, just perfect for sitting and sipping mulled wine.

In one of the downstairs windows, she could see the  twinkle of fairylights. If there was a more perfect scene, she couldn't think of it.

Throwing her arms around his neck, she hugged him tightly.  The soft down of his ski jacket cocooning them, she kissed him deeply. "Oh Tom, I love you, this is wonderful. Come on, let's get Emmy settled, and we can have something to eat."

"You say the sweetest things, darling.  You go on in, I'll fetch Emmy and your bags.  Johann can help me." He pushed her gently towards the door.  She nodded and trotted up the little set of steps.

Before he was even halfway back to the car, she knew this was a dream come true.

Opening the door, she walked into a little hallway. A warming log burner provided heat, and she stripped off her jacket and boots, putting on the slippers laid out for her. She knew they were for her because they had her initials embroidered on the front of the sheepskin.  They matched Toms, similarly designed and, as she saw with a little gasp, Emmy's.  Little sheepskin bootees, tiny but perfect, sat on the mat next to hers.

Now suitably clad, she opened the door and walked into the main room.  She put a hand to her mouth and tried, yet again, not to cry.

There was a beautiful fireplace made of local stone. On it, brass candlesticks, long pale tapers ready to light.  In it burned pine logs, giving off a wonderful scent.  The whole chalet was exposed, varnished, wood.  On the floor were scatter rugs of sheepskin. Two deeply upholstered sofa sat in front of the fireplace, little side tables at each.  Small lamps on each provided a warm glow.

In one corner, a dining table and chairs; currently set for dinner for two with glassware sparkling in the firelight. 

It was the other corner that took her breath away.  A large Christmas tree, decorated with what seemed like a thousand tiny twinkling lights and baubles. A beautiful golden star at it's tip and nestling under its branches on the floor, exquisitely wrapped parcels.  Red and white candy striped paper with large red and gold velvet bows. 

It was nothing short of..... "So perfect," she whispered to herself, admiring it.

The door opened behind her, and Tom walked in, clutching the now wakened Emmy.  As he crossed over to where she stood, Emmy's eyes sparkled with the lights that entranced her.

Tom and Ali looked at one another, each with a tiny hand in theirs. They smiled and kissed softly.

"Merry Christmas, darling," he smiled softly.

"Merry Christmas...." she echoed.

"Let's get this little one settled. We have a sofa to snuggle on and presents to open." Tom suggested gently with a grin.

Ali nodded. "Ok, I think we definitely deserve it."

Tom took Emmy upstairs to settle her, and Ali wandered into the kitchen to see what they could have for dinner.

We deserve it..." the words echoed in her head.  Yep, they definitely did.
Whether they would actually get the happy New Year they deserved, they would find out soon enough.