Priorities sorted...

"Thomas?"

"Mum? What's wrong? Are you ok? Is Ali ok?"

"No, Thomas, Ali is not ok. VERY not ok. She doesn't know I've called you, she didn't want me to, but son, you need to come home. Now." Diana sighed into the phone. She looked out of the window at the two small figures walking along the road to the park. One slowly, carefully, as if the weight of the world was on their shoulders. The other, bouncing, tail wagging and head butting their beloved mum's leg.

"Oh Jesus, mum." All worries about language forgotten, "it's back, isn't it?"

"Yes, son, yes it is. She wanted to wait till you got back to tell you so you wouldn't worry, wouldn't feel obliged... you know Ali." For the first time he could remember, his mother cried. Actually cried. "Oh Tom, please come home love."

"On my way, I'll be there tomorrow. I can get an overnight flight tonight. Work can... well, work can shove itself.  Someone else can do it, or I can do it remotely. My girls need me. Both of you. Is... is she there?"  His voice was terse but determined.

"No, I made her go for a walk with Bobs so that I could call you.  She's trying to be brave, poor little soul. But when she thinks I'm not looking..." she trailed off as she spotted the figure sitting at the top of the hill, clutching her little brown dog. "She's devastated. And what's really sad? Do you know what she said to me? She apologised. Actually apologised for being weak. Apologised for giving you all this worry. For ruining your life." Diana paused, pulling herself together as she heard her son disintegrate at the other end.

"Oh mum....."

"It's going to be ok, Tommy. Shhh darling." She soothed as best she could. "When you get here, mum will give you both the biggest hugs. And you know I can do that in spades!" She smiled gently and heard him sniff, "if you're wiping your nose on your sleeve Thomas..." she teased gently.  He laughed.

"Thanks, mum. See you in the morning.  Don't tell..."

"As if I would spoil your surprise!" She smiled, "safe flight, son, see you tomorrow....."

Tom put down the phone and a reassuring voice at his side broke into his thoughts.

"Ok, so you need to be at the airport in an hour. I got you the last seat. It's not 1st class, it's not even premium, but it's today. You'll be home tonight. Somehow I thought that might be more important?"

Tom turned and looked at his friend the they hugged.  "Thanks Luke, what would I do without you eh?" they broke the hug and Luke smiled.

"Be a snivelling wreck that can't tie his own shoelaces?" he grinned, lightening the mood.

"Hey! I don't snivel!" Tom protested with a smile. "Ok, I'll head off and start packing a carryon. Will you sort..." Luke held up a hand interrupting him.

"Yes, I'll get the rest sent on.  I'll be home as soon as I can, I'll sort everything out this end, just you get home to Ali, she needs you.  This...." he waved his hand, "is just... well, without her... it's nothing is it?" 

Tom patted him on the shoulder as he walked away, "No, absolutely nothing."

He might as well have been sitting in the cargo bay for all Tom noticed, or cared.  His one concession having been to be able to pre-board.  The cabin crew had tried to get him another seat but the flight was full so economy it was.  With his usual charm and good grace, he'd thanked them and settled in without complaint.  All he cared about was getting home. Settling into his seat, he nodded and exchanged hello's with his fellow travellers as they arrived.

For a moment, they stared open mouthed as the film star sat in the window seat, cap pulled low. "Hi, pleased to meet you, I'm Tom" he smiled and the couple sat down.  

"Jenny and Simon" they responded, shaking his hand. "You slumming it today!" Simon laughed and Tom, despite his woes shook his head with a grin. 

"Nope, not at all, I just count myself lucky it's on the inside to be honest.  Didn't fancy a terrace seat!" 

They chatted on and off, sometimes one or all snoozing their way through the flight.  Jenny sat in the middle and Simon on the aisle.  At one point, Simon left for the bathroom and Jenny turned to Tom.

"Forgive me for being so forward, but..." she paused and Tom turned to her with a gentle look. 

"Why economy?  Why in such a rush?" he smiled and she nodded. "Well, I needed to get home in a hurry and to be honest? First is nice, don't get me wrong, but sometimes there are more important things in life than pyjamas and free champagne!" he looked at her and she felt those familiar ocean eyes looking into her soul. "Someone I hold very VERY close needs me and that is what matters isn't it?  Not fame or fortune, family." he looked down at his hand which was now resting on her arm as he talked. "You have a good man there Jenny, you don't need me to tell you that.  I always hoped I'd be as lucky as Simon... now?  Now I am sure I am and she needs me."

He didn't say any more, just looked at his new companion and smiled a watery smile.  Jenny nodded. "She's lucky too Tom, don't you forget it.  I have the support of a wonderful man, who I know would do anything for me.  There's nothing I can't face with him at my side.  Friends are great, I'm lucky to have some really special ones, but someone who loves you?  Unbeatable."

"Thanks Jenny. Thanks so very much." was all he said.  "Now, I think it's almost time for them feed us again!!  They seem to think we need fed and watered every few minutes or we'll riot!!  How about I treat us all to a nice drink from the bar.  Celebrate love as it were?" he smiled, feeling relieved to have been able to talk to her and let out some of the pent up angst.  She - and her husband - were just those kind of people.  You could trust them.

"Did I hear someone mention a drink there mate?" Simon reappeared and plonked himself down making Jenny roll her eyes. 

"Men!" 

"And?  Your point is?" Simon asked her, looking at Tom for support.  Tom nodded and smiled, winking at Simon.

He knew that the remaining hours of the flight weren't going to be so bad after all.