Last Post.....

June 20th....

Dear Dad

Happy Father's Day!!

Mum once told us that in the olden days (!) she wrote to you and that's how you met. She also said that it's a nice way to show someone you care.

So, you see, me and Jamie? We care. We more than care. We love you, Dad, WE always will. But this? This is about me and you. Just me and you on this very special day.

Ever since I was little, you have been my superhero. When I was six, I remember telling anyone who would listen that you were MUCH better than Thor and Ironman! When I was twelve, I fell in love with Captain Nicolls. It wasn't you, of course, that would have been just 'ewwwww', but the one thing you DO have in common is I will always want you in my life.

Mum always used to say I was a Daddy's girl, from the moment you saved my life. You know what, Dad? I am so proud to say I always will be. No matter what.

Now I'm (much) older, I realise what you did for us. Not just working hard, but working hard FOR us. To give us the most wonderful life. And it has been exactly that. Wonderful. It wasn't without our ups and downs. Especially when Mum got sick again last year. But you held us all together.  SuperDad Superglue.

Now, as I start out on my own, I just wanted to tell you I love you, Dad. We may he apart, but we will always be together. One way or another, I will make it happen.

Jamie said I was being mushy, writing to you, I guess he's going to rush in just at the last minute, crumpled  Father's Day card and squashed Liquorice Allsorts at the ready. Forgive him? He's just a daft boy.

I'll need to stop in a minute and get ready to leave. By the time you read this, I will be gone. When you find it? I hope you understand, I couldn't have begun to tell you all this. Not today, not the way things are. I paid alot for this mascara, Dad, I don't want it all over my face - or your shirt!

I love you Dad, you are stronger than Hulk, more intelligent than Banner, funnier than Stark, and more honourable than Rogers. In short, Dad, you are my Avenger. Even Uncle Thor doesn't come close.

See you soon, Dad.  When Steve and I get back, we'll have so much to tell you.

Emmy xxxxxxxxxxx

Emmy carefully slipped the note into the envelope and smiled. She sealed it and kissed the back, just as she had over the years with Steve's valentines cards. SWALK - she grinned as she saw the rosy pink imprint. Putting it to one side, she looked into the mirror. Almost time to go. She brushed her hair carefully and touched up her lipstick.

The door behind her opened, and a figure in blue walked in.

"Mum?" Emmy turned, smiling. "I did it. I wrote it!"

"That's wonderful love, he'll be so pleased. Are you ready? It's time." Ali looked into the mirror and straightened herself a little.  Her hair was, at last perfect and her dress , now it had been let out just a little was as lovely as she'd hoped.  After she'd been given the all clear, she'd decided to hell with the diet and frankly the only person who saw her naked these days was as much in love with her as ever.

"Will I do?" She turned to her daughter with a smile. Emmy had been her rock.  Makeup and hair advice, helping her pick out this beautiful dress to surprise Tom.

"Oh, Mum, you look beautiful. No one will even notice me!" She kissed her mother's cheek as she stood.

Ali looked at her softly. "I highly doubt that love." She stroked her cheek, thinking how much she looked like her father. "You're so beautiful, Emmy. Steve is a very lucky man. Oh, look - the taxi is here. See you in a few minutes, ok?" She went to the door of Emmy's room.

Emmy blushed, "Mum?" She caught her before she left.

"Yes, love?" She paused, looking back. It had been a long time since her daughter had sat at her dressing table and chatted with her. Now, it would never happen again. She wasn't sad, though. She was beyond happy.

"C... can I ask you something?"

"That's a silly question, love, of COURSE you can."

"Was...." she took a deep breath, "was it sore? Having me and Jamie? Like REALLY sore?" She was almost the colour of the roses on her bed.

"Well, yes, but only for the time it took. I wouldn't have swapped it for the world. It brought me you two. Why?" It was an odd question out of the blue.

"I...I just want to be ready." Emmy stood and smoothed her dress down. Suddenly, Ali saw it was just a tiny bit tighter than it had been the last time Emmy had tried it on. She looked at her daughter, tears threatening.

"Emmy?"  She put a hand to her mouth, tears pricking at her eyes.

"Yes, Mum, we're having a baby!" She ran to her mum, and they hugged, desperately trying not to cry. As Emmy pulled back, she dabbed at her eyes with a tissue. "But it's a secret, just me and Steve, and now you know. We didn't want to overshaddow today." She giggled. "Can you tell Dad and Jamie? But not till after we're gone?"

"Oh, Emmy! You're big enough to have a baby, so you're big enough to tell your Dad!" Ali laughed, shaking her head. "But yes, I'll tell him, he's going to be so proud of you."

There was a toot from the street outside. "Time to go. See you in a mo." Emmy shooed her mum away.

She waited for a moment, gathering herself. Taking a breath, she followed downstairs. The house was silent. Front door closed, taxi gone. Just her and her thoughts.

Well, almost. From out of the living room, the scene of so many family Christmases and birthdays and movie nights and, yes, occasionally teenage temper tantrums walked her hero.

"Oh, Dad, you look so handsome!" She said quietly, smoothing down his suit lapels. She adjusted the pink rose in his buttonhole and kissed his cheek.

Tom smiled, eyes glittering suspiciously. "Well, I have to do my best not to shame the bride." He kissed Emmy's cheek and smiled as he lifted her veil over her face.

The lace did nothing to hide her beautiful eyes, the eyes he'd looked into that day all those years ago as she'd mewled and cried. Now? Now it seemed like only minutes ago.

Her dress, her dress was as familiar to him as it was to her. Ali had her own wedding gown remodelled at Emmy's request, and now it was Emmy's something old. The new? Her veil. Her borrowed? Auntie Emma's pearl earrings and her blue? Well, Tom had taken care of that. The sapphire bracelet dangled delicately round her wrist.

"You're so like your mother, I am such a lucky man." He said softly. "And Steve? Well, if he dares to even think for one minute, he deserves you..." he winked, and Emmy rolled her eyes.

"Oh Daaaad!" She grimaced. As she hugged him tightly, she slipped the note into his jacket pocket. He would find it later. Tonight. After the wedding when he was alone with her mum.

Emmy smiled. She remembered a quote she'd learned from him years before. Today, it seemed perfect.

"Remember today, for it is the beginning of always."

As they walked out to the waiting limousine, she glanced up at her Dad, knowing this was a very special moment.

The best, though? The best was yet to come....

Mum and Dad.
Granny and Grandpa.
Love and letters.

Some things were just meant to be.