Plans....

A couple of mornings later, Ali stepped out onto the small balcony and took a deep breath, the cool morning air filling her lungs. A luxury most took for granted, but not Ali. Never again.

Diana had gone home the day after Tom's arrival, and he had whisked them off to a beautiful little house by the sea for a few days of complete rest before they launched into the next battle.

A noise behind her made her turn.  Tom was stretching noisily in bed as he woke from a deep sleep. She smiled and walked back inside.

"Morning, sleepyhead..."

"Morning, darling..." he held out his hands, and she lay back in bed with him, snuggling close as he pulled her to him. She smiled into his chest as he kissed the top of her head.

"Sleep, ok? It was late when you came to bed, love?" He asked her softly, stroking her back absentmindedly, his fingers trailing over her skin deliciously.

"Soundly. I just wanted to see if I could see any shooting stars." She paused, then said,"You know, I saw one once before.. I wished on it."

"Did you know?" Tom could tell by the tone of her voice there was more to this than just a passing comment. "Want to talk about it?"

She nodded, still not looking at him.  "It wasn't all that long ago, but honestly? It seems like a lifetime ago.  A lifetime that has changed both me and what I want most in the world." She now sat up and took his hand.

Tom sat up with her, letting her readjust her position to lean against his front, her back to his chest.  He wrapped his arms around her and rested his chin on her shoulder as she played with his fingers.  He could feel from her breathing. She was nervous.

"Well... it was just before I went for surgery. I... I... wished for you to stay..." she paused, and he almost said something, but when he felt her shuddering breath, he stopped.

"Go on, darling." He kissed her cheek softly.

"Well, I know now that was a wasted wish. She leaned to the side a little and kissed his jawline, "You were never going anywhere, I see that now. So this time..."

"Yes, love?"  He encouraged her gently.  This was obviously something momentous for her.

"I... I wished... for... the strength to give you the family you deserve. I want you - us - to have a baby Tom." She turned and looked at him. His face was a study in careful restraint.

"Are... are you sure?" His voice was barely audible. "I mean, I know that sometimes the chemo... it can mean that your eggs... not to mention the strain on you... I don't want to risk..."

"Tom?" She placed a hand on his arm, gently nudging him as he began to ramble.

"Yes, darling?"

"Shut up? Please?" She smiled. "I thought about this long and hard, not to mention quite some time ago. I knew the implications of chemo, and I also knew that if I came out the other side, I'd want children. Our children.  I had them freeze some eggs for me  before they started. Just in case. Once I've completed this round, there's nothing stopping me. No matter what, I want to a baby. Your baby."

Tom looked down at her. Could this really be happening ? Had he truly agreed to be married to this perfect human being?  He smiled. "So why are you shaking love? What has made you scared?".

"I... I wasn't sure if you'd think it was too soon.  I mean, we're not even married, and I'm talking about starting a family." She flushed. "I didn't want to put pressure on you, but life is too short, Tom. If we put off things until everything is 'perfect', we'll never be parents."

Tom smiled, kissing her deeply. When he stopped, he said in a low growl she recognised instantly. "So when do we start practising?""

"No time like the present..." she pulled him down with her as she lay on the bed, grinding her hips against him.  He moaned loudly and pressed his body into her soft flesh.

"Good. Practice makes perfect..." he breathed into her ear.

"Tell me again, you love me, and you want our child....no, better yet, show me."

Tom slid a hand up her leg, lifting her satin nightgown up to stroke her thigh. She groaned as he slid his arm under her, pressing her to him. She could feel his answer. Winding her leg around him, she ground against him, feeling her wetness make them both slick.

His mouth worked its way down, finding every inch of her skin, making her writhe under his touch.

"I love you, and God knows I want to make a child with you so much.  I can't wait to see you carry our baby."

The realisation that Tom would find her swollen form attractive was an astonishing and unexpected turn-on.
"Please, Tom..." she whispered urgently, "I need you... I need..."

Tom raised himself over her and looked down at her, biting his lip to try and stop himself racing ahead in his passion.

He kissed her deeply, lifting the satin over her head and away, leaving her naked. "God, you're so beautiful. We will have beautiful babies...."

Later, as they ate breakfast together in the kitchen, Ali sat on Tom's lap. One arm wrapped around her, he fed her some fruit and tea.

"I CAN feed myself darling, much as I love you taking care of me." She smiled as the latest piece of melon made its way towards her. Tom smiled and popped it into his own mouth instead. He winked.

"I just want to make sure my soon to be pregnant wife has nothing to stress her. Not even eating!" He grinned, and she laughed, kissing him.

"I hate to break it to you, love, it's probably going to be months.  By the time I finish my chemo and then come off the pill, you know? Even with your unfair advantage - she winked and bit her lip, making him laugh - it could take a while."

He popped a piece of melon in her mouth this time and smiled wickedly.  "So, I have months to keep trying? Sounds like a win-win to me!"  

Ali laughed and kissed him with melon flavoured lips.

"Come on, let's get dressed. We have a  small dog who's desperate to go to the beach. Let's enjoy ourselves while we can. Monday will come soon enough....."