I Don't Want You Pt. 2

Time had been measured in the amount of lost sleep and tears shed over the last week. You still couldn't believe that what you had with Bucky was over. A year and half of your life had been flushed down the drain, spent on a man that never loved you. Your work day passed in a blur as you trained the new recruits, pushing them to their limits and taking your heartache out on them. Steve had to remind you more than once that your anger shouldn't be directed at them.

He knew you weren't okay. Everyone did, but no one brought up Bucky or what had happened. Well, no one except Nat or Yelena, but their comments were just his name mingled with curses and threats of violence. You loved the protectiveness of your sisters, but whenever they said his name it sent a fresh wave of pain through you. You avoided Bucky as best as you could, but this morning was going to be difficult. Tony called a meeting and everyone was required to attend.

Nat and Yelena walked into the meeting with you trailing behind them. Your steps faltered when you saw Bucky sitting at the end of the table. His eyes landed on you for a split second before he turned away. You thought your heart couldn't break any further, but his indifference proved you wrong. Nat laid her hand on your upper back and guided you to the head of the table.

"Asshole." Yelena mumbled, as she started walking towards Bucky.

"It's okay, Lena. I'm okay." You said over your shoulder, forcing yourself to look at Yelena instead of Bucky and placing as much conviction into your words as possible. Even if you didn't believe your words, you didn't want him to know how much you had been suffering.

The rest of the team filtered into the room and, to your shock, Steve came and sat next to you instead of next to Bucky. He gave you a sympathetic smile and tried making small talk, but you weren't in the mood to talk about the weather or your plans for the weekend. His questions were met with polite nods or one word answers. Steve graciously took the hint and sat next to you in silence. Right before Tony started the meeting, Steve leaned over and whispered into your ear.

"I know it's hard to be in the same room with him, Y/n. If you need an out, just let me know."

"Thank you." You whispered back. You smiled softly at him, bumping your shoulder against his.

The meeting passed in a blur. You barely heard a word Tony said because you were too busy keeping yourself from letting your eyes wander to Bucky. The only thing you really did catch was that there was another mission coming up that you and Steve were being assigned to. At least Tony had enough common sense to not place you with Bucky. After the meeting ended, Bucky tore out of the room, looking intently at the phone in his hand with a scowl etched on his face. You waited a few minutes to make sure that you wouldn't run into Bucky before standing to leave.

"Hey, Y/n. Do you have a second to talk?" Steve asked as you were walking out of the door.

"I'm not really up for a heart to heart, Steve. Can it wait?"

"I don't think so."

You sighed and sat back down beside him.

"It's about Bucky." He said.

"Nope. We're not talking about that." You stood to leave, but he grabbed your hand and pulled you back down into the seat.

"He lied to you, Y/n."

"I know, Steve. I don't need a reminder that he lied about being in love with me." Anger laced your words as you glared at Steve. "I know he's your friend, but I don't need you telling me to forgive him for making me fall in love with him, only to turn around and tell me it was all fake."

"No, that's not what I'm doing. He lied about not loving you. He does love you, Y/n."

"Then why did he tell me he didn't?" You asked, confused.