Reunited

"Mom!" You yelled as you ran towards Natasha.

Your mom had always been your best friend. She could be strict, but she always made sure you were happy and felt loved. Natasha was barely eighteen when you were born. Your father was a piece of shit who left her when she was three months pregnant.

Thankfully, your mom met a man a few years after you were born who loved her unconditionally. Natasha Romanoff married Steve Rogers when you were four and six months later Steve adopted you. He had never looked at you as his step-daughter. To him, you were his little princess and it was only right that you shared his last name just like your mother.

You grew up in Brooklyn and that's where you met your best friend, Bucky Barnes. He was your next door neighbor and Natasha was best friends with his mom. They would have lunch together several times a week and, while your moms gossiped, you and Bucky would play or watch movies together...usually in a blanket fort that the two of you had built.

As the two of you grew up, you became inseparable. You couldn't remember a time where Bucky wasn't around. Steve was wary of letting you be alone with him as you got older because Bucky earned himself quite the reputation as a lady's man. He was handsome and you could see why girls were attracted to him, but he never gave any indication that he was interested in you that way.

After graduating high school, you and Bucky spent every second of the summer together. He joined the army and would be leaving for basic training at the end of August and you would be off to college. You tried to keep in touch, but your schedules made it almost impossible for the two of you to talk or visit each other. You'd send the odd text here or there, but over the years you completely lost contact. You thought about him often, but as soon as the thought to text him crossed your mind, something would distract you and the thought was gone.

"There's my college graduate. I've missed you so much!" Natasha pulled you into a tight hug and kissed the side of your head.

"You just saw me a few days ago when you came to the ceremony." You chuckled.

"I know, but I've missed you being home with us. It feels like forever since we've been under the same roof." Natasha said and rocked you side to side.

"Geez, mom. You act like I never came home during my breaks."

"You know what I mean." Natasha said and hugged you tighter.

"Careful sweetheart, you're squeezing her so tight her head might pop off." Steve said.

"Hey, dad." You smiled at Steve as soon as Natasha released you and he wrapped his arms around you.

"I'm glad you're home, princess. It hasn't been the same without you." He said softly.

"I'm glad I'm home, too."

~

Steve pulled up outside of your favorite restaurant and parked in front of the doors. There were only a few cars in the lot, so you were hoping that you wouldn't have to wait for a table. You had been traveling most of the day between your flights and layover and you were ready for real food. Natasha and Steve walked ahead of you into the restaurant and you followed closely behind.

The inside was mostly dark and your eyebrows furrowed in confusion until the lights flipped on and a room full of people were yelling surprise at you. A grin spread across your face as you realized your parents had thrown you a welcome home party. Your eyes scanned the room and saw it was filled with family and friends that you hadn't seen in years. When your gaze reached the right side of the room, your eyes froze on a familiar pair of light blue eyes.

"Bucky?" You said softly.

"Hey, sunshine."

Bucky ran his hand through his long, dark hair as he walked over to you with a grin on his face. You met him halfway and jumped into his arms, excited to see the best friend you had lost touch with. His arms wrapped around you and he swung you around before setting you back on the ground. He left his arms around your waist, but leaned back to smile down at you.