Broken Promises Pt. 4

TW: This story contains violence at the end. Please skip if you feel uncomfortable with that.

When the sun began to peak around the edges of your curtains, you pushed yourself up from the bed and walked into your bathroom. As you washed your face and brushed your teeth, you thought about the past week and how the atmosphere seemed to shift almost over night. Since the night you stayed with Bucky, you'd found your anger dissipating little by little. You were still warring with yourself and you most definitely hadn't forgiven him, but you found it easier to be around him. You'd even been able to speak to him without the urge to punch him in the face or feeling like you were going to crumble.

Autumn was keeping her distance, but there was something in her eyes every time you saw her. It was something dark and foreboding that made you uneasy whenever her gaze slid over you. You'd seen that stare in your captors eyes many times. She had something planned and, whatever it was, it was nothing good. The only thing you couldn't figure out is why she had the same look every time she saw Bucky. When you first arrived, she was all heart-eyes with a big grin. Now she looked as if she had a secret that she couldn't wait to come to light.

That wouldn't matter after today, though. Autumn would no longer be working with the Avengers as of the end of the day. Fury decided that her talents would be best utilized almost thirty-five hundred miles from New York. She'd be leaving for London around seven o'clock that night and then you'd never have to see her again. That thought was the only thing giving you any type of comfort about your situation.

Your heart and head were a mess after spending the night lying in Bucky's bed listening to him mumble your name in his sleep. The words 'I love you' usually followed close behind. You couldn't lie to yourself and say that it didn't give you a small amount of satisfaction that he was dreaming about you and not Autumn. That night, you let yourself forget about everything that had happened since your return and instead imagined you and Bucky were back to the way things were before your capture.

The one thing you had to give Bucky credit for, he'd been trying to show you that you were his main priority. He'd made a point of spending the first few minutes of his day waiting outside your bedroom door just to say good morning and he hoped you had a good day. He made time to check on you throughout the day to make sure you'd eaten. You'd have texts from him that were nothing but random memories he had of you that made him smile. Sometimes it was just to check and make sure you were doing okay.

He never pushed your boundaries, but he made sure you knew he was thinking about you and your well-being. His actions didn't mean you were ready to jump back into a relationship, but you stopped avoiding him and tried being more pleasant when he spoke to you. You'd even stopped chastising him for slipping up and calling you 'doll'.

You knew that as soon as you stepped out of your room to head to the training room, he'd be waiting in the hallway. You grabbed the doorknob and took a deep breath before swinging it open. Sitting against the wall across from your door was Bucky. His head snapped up when he heard you clear your throat. He scrambled to his feet as you shut your door and then began walking down the hall with you.

"Morning, doll." Bucky said, a small smile curving his lips.

"Morning, Bucky." You replied and smiled back at him.

You stepped onto the elevator with Bucky and pressed the button for the ground floor where the training room was located. Today was your first day training since your return. You were a bit nervous, but after everything that happened, you had so many pent up emotions that you were excited to have an outlet for them. You shifted your weight from foot to foot, eager to get back to another part of your normal routine.

"Everything okay?" Bucky asked, noticing the way you were fidgeting.

"Huh? Oh, yeah. Just excited to get to the training room." You chuckled lightly. "It's my first day back and I'm a little antsy I guess."