Unimportant Pt. 3

Xander opened your door and closed it behind you after you slipped inside. Once he was seated beside you and had pulled the car into traffic, he turned down his radio and glanced at you from the corner of his eye. You were gazing out the window, lost in your own thoughts as your fingers drummed a steady rhythm on your thigh.

"So that was him?" Xander asked, but you didn't answer him. "Y/n?"

"Hmm?" You turned abruptly to face him, not having heard a word he said.

"That was Bucky?" Xander asked again.

"Oh, uh, yeah. T-that was him." You said softly.

"You came out of the restaurant looking a little flustered. Did he say something to you?"

"He wants to talk. Tomorrow at the compound."

"And you said...?" Xander trailed off, leaving his question hanging in the air.

"I told him I'd come by at noon." You responded, but then turned your whole body in the seat to face him. "Am I making a mistake? I mean, I was so completely in love with him and he broke me in the worst way possible. He made me feel unloved and insignificant, but now he wants to talk and I just–I don't know what to do."

Xander had become one of your most trusted confidants since you left the compound. The blind date you had been set up on had bloomed into one of your most meaningful friendships and you knew that he would never judge you for your decisions, but he wouldn't lie to you just to spare your feelings. Sometimes you looked at him and wondered why he couldn't be the one you fell in love with.

He was handsome, with dark black hair that stood out against his light complexion, deep hazel eyes, and a sharp jawline covered in a short, well-groomed beard. But most importantly he was sweet and cared about you and your happiness. If you had met him first and he had been looking for a relationship, you could have fallen in love with him.

From the moment you confided in him about your relationship with Bucky, he had tried to convince you to speak with him. Not for Bucky's sake, but for your own peace of mind. Xander knew you still had feelings for Bucky and he thought it could help you move on if you got closure, but you always refused. It sounded crazy, but a big part of you didn't want to let Bucky go because it meant that your time with him was really over. You were sure that within the ten months you were apart Bucky would have moved on, but when you saw him tonight he looked just as miserable as you.

"You want my honest opinion or the sugar-coated version?" He smirked.

"Stop playing around." You chuckled. "You know I always expect the truth from you."

"I think you should talk to him. Bucky looked lost, but somehow excited, when he saw you. He also looked really pissed off to see you with me." Xander laughed loudly. "He didn't look like a man who has moved on. I think he's been suffering the whole time you've been gone."

Your eyes fell to your hands as you thought about his words. Your mind was swirling with confusion. The way Bucky acted and the look on his face when he saw you wasn't what you expected. You had imagined running into him on the street or in a store so many times and how he would react to seeing you. You thought he'd ignore you or he'd happily greet you and say that he had been doing great. But what you saw at the restaurant was a completely different scenario than what you had imagined. You couldn't wrap your mind around why he looked so empty when he spent the last part of your relationship pushing you away.

"You're overthinking, Y/n."

Xander's deep voice cut into your thoughts. You looked at him with a weak smile and shrugged your shoulders.