Broken Promises

TW: This story mentions mental and physical torture (no in depth details). Please feel free to skip if you wish.

I promise there will only ever be you, Y/n.

The words that had been repeating in your head for the last three years faded away as tears began to blur your vision. Three years you had been gone, suffering every day that you were away from your family and the man you loved, but even the torture you endured didn't compare to the pain you felt in that moment. A part of you rationalized what you were seeing. You couldn't expect him to wait for you when there was no guarantee that you would return home. But the other part of you was overshadowing your rationale, you were angry and bitter.

He told you that you were the one for him. There would never be another that could compare and, even if something happened to you, he'd never fall in love again. It was a lie, though. Why else would he be standing in front of you with his arm around her? Your eyes squeezed shut and your building tears finally crested over the rim of your eyes as you tried to recapture the happiness you felt just moments earlier.

~

Freedom.

The grass under your feet.

The sun on your face.

It was surreal.

Three years of unimaginable horrors, but you were finally free.

During a mission with the Avengers, you were injured when the building you were in exploded. You were only saved because you found an old storm shelter in the basement. The last thing you remembered was the lock clicking in place before a deafening blast shook the walls and caused a falling shelf to knock you unconscious. When you woke up, you were gagged, bound, and being transported by Russians. You didn't know where you were or what they had planned.

The only thing you knew for sure was that there would be pain of every variety. Physical, psychological, emotional. It would all happen and there was no way to stop it. The only thing that got you through the last three years was the thought of escape. No matter how many times you wanted to give up, you kept your mind focused on your parents, your friends, and him.

There was no doubt that your team would think you were dead. But you knew that once the shock of your return wore off, they'd welcome you back with open arms. The only small doubt you had was that he didn't wait for you, but you brushed it off. He had always told you that he would never love anyone else. It was a promise he said he'd take to his grave. As soon as you were home, you could begin rebuilding life with the people you cared about most.

It took you a few weeks to reach a city with an American embassy, but once you did, you were able to get in contact with Fury. You didn't have to wait long for him to turn up. He was shocked to find out about what had happened, but seemed relieved to see you alive. You asked him to keep your return a secret so you could surprise everyone at the compound and he gladly agreed.

You spent your flight back to the states being debriefed. Fury originally wanted to wait until you reached SHIELD headquarters to do the debriefing, but you were adamant that you wanted to go straight to the compound. He begrudgingly agreed and directed the pilot to fly to the Avengers compound. Your body was buzzing with excitement. You hadn't seen home in so long and you were itching to hug your dad, spend time with your best friends, and kiss the lips of the man you loved.

Only, you didn't realize the heartbreak you were about to face.

~

You walked off the elevator and into the residential wing of the compound. Fury stayed behind at the entrance to the compound, no doubt asking FRIDAY to notify your dad of your return. It was quiet in the common room, but you were expecting that. It was early evening on a Friday. Your dad was probably still tucked away in his lab while the others would normally still be busy with their duties.