Unimportant

Bucky,

I love you. I love you so much that I forced myself to deny the obvious for longer than I should have. I don't have a place in your life anymore. I've become unimportant and irrelevant. Whatever part of your heart that I used to hold, it's no longer mine. I've accepted the fact that the love we shared has burned out. I'll never stop loving you, but it seems that you have stopped loving me. You don't need me the same way I need you.

I won't be back. I've taken my things and left my key on the bedside table. I wish you all the happiness in the world and I hope that one day you find a woman that you love with every fiber of your being. I had hoped I was that woman, but I was wrong. Have a good life, Bucky. You are worth more than you know.

Always yours, Y/n

Bucky stared at the letter you had left laying on his pillow. His tears dropped onto the paper, mingling with the dried stains of your own. Once he got his head out of his ass, he realized how unhappy you were and he was prepared to fix that by any means necessary, but he was too late. How had he been too blind to realize that he was losing you? Had he become so comfortable in your relationship that he assumed you'd always be there?

~

"I think–I think there's something wrong with me, Nat." You said sadly.

"Why do you think there's something wrong with you?" Nat asked as her brows furrowed.

"Bucky isn't happy with me anymore and–and I think it's my fault. But I don't know what I did to make him so distant with me."

Nat may have been a hardened spy who didn't show her emotions often, but this was different. You were her best friend, but she had always thought of you as her sister. Seeing you in front of her, fidgeting with the glass in your hand and trying to avoid eye contact with her, had her tough exterior crumbling and the only thing she wanted to do was comfort you as best she could. You were fracturing before her eyes and it was heartbreaking.

"There's nothing wrong with you, Y/n. Bucky's just being an asshole." Nat's voice was soft and her eyes were sympathetic.

"No, it's more than that. I'm clearly not enough for him anymore. Something is wrong with me and I'm just not doing it for him. Don't say anything but...I found an apartment. I'm going to move out and–uh–break up with him."

Nat's eyes went wide and her body shot upright on the couch. She stuttered out a few syllables, but nothing coherent.

"Neither of us are happy, Nat." Tears welled in your eyes, but you held them back. "He doesn't look at me like he used to and I spend every day wondering what I did to make him fall out of love with me. It's over."

You peered across the room at Bucky who was still talking and laughing with Steve and Sam. When his eyes met yours, you turned away and looked back at Nat, afraid that if you didn't then the tears would finally fall. After a moment, you peeked over at Bucky again. A group of women had joined the three men and a brunette was gazing up at Bucky as they laughed at something that was said.

He didn't laugh like that with you anymore. He didn't smile like that with you anymore. When he was with you, he wasn't himself. The last piece of your heart shattered as you watched Bucky's eyes sparkle. He looked alive for the first time in months. Nat followed your line of sight and scowled at Bucky. He was about to lose you and he was too fucking stupid to realize it.

Bucky glanced at you once more, only this time you didn't look away. His brow furrowed at the sad look on your face, so you gave him a bright, fake smile. The tension in his face relaxed and he smiled back before going back to his conversation. When he had turned away, you dropped the smile and looked back at Nat.