Starting Over Pt. 2

It had been two weeks since you gave Bucky your number and he still hadn't plucked up enough courage to call you. Sam and Steve had been hounding him non-stop about finally setting a date with you, but Bucky just couldn't seem to push past the guilt of moving on. He had avoided going to the coffee shop the past two Saturdays because he couldn't face you after not calling you. Instead, he let Sam and Steve take Grant for his weekly hot chocolate and cookie.

He avoided asking about you the first Saturday he skipped the cafe visit. However, he could stop himself from asking Grant if he had fun when the guys brought him home, hoping that he would mention you. His heart dropped when Grant told him that you disappeared into the back after saying hello to him and never came out. Bucky had really fucked this one up. You were the first woman he had been interested in since Katie's death and he had already messed it up.

Grant seemed disappointed that he only got to see you for a few minutes, saying that you seemed sad and that made him sad. He had taken a liking to you over the past year and was excited to see you every Saturday. His son liked how attentive you were and how you doted on him when you saw him. Grant was too young to remember the way his mom used to do the same thing. The only woman Grant had in his life was Katie's mom, Mary, so getting that attention from you made him feel special. Bucky thought a visit to his grandma's may cheer Grant up, so that's where he planned to spend his Sunday.

"Are you ready buddy? We gotta get going if we wanna make it to Nana's in time for lunch." Bucky asked as he held Grant's coat for him to slip into.

"Ready, daddy. Can I take the cookie Y/n gave me yesterday? I want Nana to have it." Grant said with big eyes that Bucky couldn't say no to.

"Uh, sure buddy. I'll grab it for you."

He grabbed the light purple box off the kitchen counter and handed it to Grant who grinned and held it to his chest. Bucky ushered him out of their house and to the car. He watched Grant carefully sit the box on the seat next to him and then let Bucky strap him into his car seat. Bucky spent the drive to Mary's house trying to calm his nerves. While their visit was meant to be mostly for Grant's benefit, Bucky also wanted to talk to her about the situation he had found himself in. Mary had always given him her honest opinion in the past, so he was comfortable enough to ask for her advice.

"Come to Nana, honey!" Mary said as she saw Grant exit the car.

"Nana!" Grant ran up the stone walkway to the porch and straight into her arms.

"Oh, I've missed you." She said, scooping him into a tight hug.

Mary set Grant on her hip and pulled Bucky into a hug before leading them inside.

"Lunch is all set up and ready to go. Here you go, honey."

Mary placed Grant in his booster seat at the kitchen table and then placed his plate in front of him before handing the other one to Bucky. They spent lunch talking about what Bucky and Grant had been up to since their last visit and what they had planned for the next few weeks. When they finished eating, Grant asked Bucky about the cookie he had brought with him.

"Daddy, can I give Nana her cookie now?" Grant asked.

"Sure, buddy. I'll grab it for you."

Bucky grabbed the box from the counter and placed it in front of Grant with the lid open. His little face turned up to grin at Bucky and then he looked at Mary.

"I brought a cookie for you, Nana. Y/n makes the best cookies!" Grant grabbed the cookie from the box and held it out to Mary.

"That's so sweet of you, honey. What kind is it?" Mary took the cookie from him and bit into it.