Reunited Pt. 3

Seven Months Later

Steve carried your last box into your new apartment and set it on the floor next to the door. He looked around the living space that opened into an eat-in kitchen. On the opposite side of the kitchen was a door that opened to the bedroom and en suite bathroom. Winnie and Natasha were helping you unpack your clothes, while Bucky was busy trying to mount the TV onto the wall.

"You need some help?" Steve asked.

"If you wouldn't mind. This wall mount is awkward as hell." Bucky chuckled.

Steve grabbed the wall mount and held it in place so Bucky could attach it to the wall. He then helped him get the TV aligned and held it steady as Bucky set to work securing it. Once they were done, Bucky took a seat on the couch and scanned the room for what else needed to be done. Steve took a seat next to him, his eyes flickering to your bedroom. You were laughing with Natasha and Winnie as you placed your clothes on hangers and passed them off to be put in the closet. Steve smiled faintly and turned his attention to Bucky, plastering on his most serious dad look.

"So, this is a pretty big step in your relationship. You sure you're ready to live together?"

"I've never been more ready for anything in my life." Bucky replied, looking into the bedroom and smiling at the mere sight of you.

"I'm expecting you to take care of my girl. If anything happens to her..."

"I know, I know. No one will ever find my body." Bucky chuckled.

"Exactly." Steve said pointedly.

"You don't have to worry about her, Mr. Rogers. I'll always be here to keep her safe."

"Good." Steve turned slightly towards Bucky and clapped his hand on his shoulder. "I think you should start calling me Steve. I know I've been tough on you, but she's my daughter. I'll always be protective of her. As long as she's happy, I'm happy."

"Thanks, Steve." Bucky looked into the bedroom for a split second and then back at Steve. "Would you mind stepping out on the fire escape with me? I have something I wanted to talk to you about."

Bucky got up and walked onto the fire escape without looking behind him to see if Steve had followed. He turned around to face Steve and took a deep breath then blew it out slowly. Steve had finally accepted his relationship with you, but he still felt his anxiety rise as he stood in front of your dad. He wiped his hands down his jeans and then shoved them in his pockets as he shifted on his feet. Steve's face was stony as he leaned his hip on the railing of the fire escape and crossed his arms over his chest.

"Why do you look so nervous?" Steve asked.

"I want to ask you something, but I'm starting to think that maybe I should have waited a little longer." Bucky laughed nervously.

"We're here now, so might as well go ahead and say what you wanted to say."

"I want to ask Y/n to marry me." Bucky blurted out.

Steve didn't move a muscle at Bucky's admission. His expression remained unchanged and it made Bucky feel uneasy. Steve may have accepted him, but it didn't mean that he would approve of you marrying Bucky.

"N-not right now." Bucky stammered. "But soon. I don't want to ask her without your approval, though."

Steve stared at Bucky for a moment longer before ducking back into the apartment. Bucky felt himself deflate at Steve's reaction—or lack of—and he was worried that he had rushed into things too quickly. He wanted to marry you, but it didn't feel right to ask you if your dad didn't approve. Bucky glanced through the window and saw Steve walking back through the living room with Natasha following behind him. He stepped onto the fire escape and helped her out after him.