Starting Over Pt. 4*

Eighteen Months Later

"God, I can't believe I'm doing this." Bucky said as his leg began bouncing up and down.

"You'll be fine. Everything will be fine." Steve said down the phone.

"How's Grant?" Bucky asked, hoping for some type of distraction.

"He's great. Currently wrestling with Sam and winning, actually." Steve chuckled.

"Good. Sam needs to be knocked down a bit." Bucky chuckled and then went quiet.

"Buck? You still there?"

"Tell me I'm doing the right thing, Steve. Tell me I'm not making a mistake." Bucky pleaded.

"You know that this isn't a mistake, Bucky. It's the right thing to do and I know you can feel it down in your soul."

Bucky's nausea rose to the surface as he heard a knock on his door.

"Yeah, you're right. I gotta go, she's here." Bucky croaked.

"Let me know how it goes." Steve said hurriedly before Bucky hung up and rushed to the door.

The moment it opened, Bucky ceased to breathe, but that wasn't anything new. He was always stunned by how effortlessly beautiful you were. You walked inside and wrapped your arms around his neck, pulling him into a sweet kiss. His nerves settled as your lips touched his.

"Hey, babydoll. I missed you." Bucky whispered against your lips.

"You saw me a few hours ago at the shop." You chuckled.

"That's too long to go without seeing this face." Bucky cupped your face and smushed your cheeks. "You're just so damn cute."

"Bucky, stop!" You mumbled out and pulled at his hands as you laughed.

"Okay, okay." He grinned.

"Are you ready to go to dinner?"

"I-I, uh, actually thought we could stay in for dinner tonight. I cooked for us. Is that okay?" He rubbed at the back of his neck as his nerves kicked back in.

"A night alone with my amazing boyfriend who took the time to cook me dinner? Why wouldn't that be okay? Lead the way."

Bucky grabbed your hand and walked you into the dimly lit dining room, stopping right inside the door. Candles blazed around the room and a vase with your favorite flowers sat in the middle of the table. Two plates with steaks, vegetables, and potatoes sat next to each other and wine had already been poured into the glasses. You let go of his hand and took a couple slow steps towards the table. After a moment you spun around to look at Bucky with a stunned smile and big eyes.

"What's all this for?"

"I just wanted to spoil you a bit. Nice dinner, some candles, flowers, just the two of us." He said softly as he came to stand in front of you. "Do you like it?"

"I love it, baby." You whispered and kissed him gently. "And I love you."

"I love you too, Y/n."

Bucky walked you to the table and pulled out your chair then sat down across from you. You talked and laughed as you ate, taking your time to just enjoy the other's company. It had been sixteen months since Bucky asked you to be his girlfriend. In the two months prior to that, you gave him time to figure out if he was really ready to move forward with a relationship. He was so hesitant to ask you out at first that you were afraid if you rushed into a relationship, he'd change his mind and realize that wasn't what he wanted. But he hadn't changed his mind and you had spent the last year and a half falling in love with him.