Prologue

Lilly pranced back and forth in the back, watching the girl before us do her run.

She finished knocking down a barrel. She ran into the alley and slowed down, she fianlky stops her horse and patted the taller grey horse down its neck.

I run my hand over Lily's braided main and listen to the loud speaker.

"Dalila Hutson"

My head jolts up at my name, everything went blank, and i didn't hear the rest of the call.

I waited about 5 seconds and let Lily run down the alley way.

It was all a blur after that, really.

We made the first barrel perfectly, and the seconds, at this rate we might just win.

I made sure Lily had her head and I yelled her name "c'mon Lily you've got this girl!" I said encouraging her.

She made the turn on the last barrel, and bam, my life was turned upside-down.

I felt her slip, fast and hard. I panicked, feeling her body slip from under me, my body instantly hit the barrel, my head ducked trying not to hit the rim of the barrel and it jolted to the horn, Lily let out a heart breaking scream and the barrel fell as quickly as my shoulder jammed into it, next thing I hit was the ground.

It was like everything was in slow motion, my head hit the dirt, the soft but concrete hard dirt, I felt a scream escape my lungs unwilling, and I felt crushed, something on my led.

Then it all went black. I couldn't see anything or hear or feel. On the bright side, the evident pain was yet to come.
But on the downside, my life would never be the same.

****

A day later, I woke up in the hospital, aperently Lily slid and fell and took me with her, and when she fell on my father, she managed to fracture my Tibula and my Fibula. She got up quickly, so it could have been much worse, but at the same time, it was. Only 18 and my world was shattered.

****

I looked at the carving in the lonley willow tree out in the meadow. Today was her funeral, I read over the words in the tree.

'In loving memory of Little Mrs.Priss, or more known as Lily, a wonderful little Red Dun, she was the sweetest, more loving horse a life saver and a little girls world. Lily passed at only 7 years old, may you live your best life in heaven'

The tears built up in my eyes, and my cheeks felt hot. My mother had the tree engraved, and a bench put in up here for Lily. She was the best.

I sat on the ben h and curled into a ball and pressed her halter to my chest. I didn't know how I was gonna be able to live without her. She was my life, and here I was without her.

In all my years of riding, this has never happened, and I never would have thought it would, Lily was amazing, and she didn't deserve this. She didn't deserve to break her leg. She didn't deserve to fall, and she didn't deserve any of this. It's my fault, I should have been more prepared, and I should have seen it coming.

"Guess you never hear the bullet that kills you." I whispered to myself as I closed my eyes and leaned back on the bench.

****