Prologue

I've known him since we were young.
I actually can't recall a childhood memory when he's not in any of it.

👧🏻👦🏻

I remember when we were four, I fell down and scratched my knees.
He scolded me because he asked me to wait, but I didn't.
I was crying, my knees were bleeding, and he raised his voice.
Then I was surprised when he squeezed my cheeks and kissed me on the lips.

"Don't you ever cry, Carla. It breaks my heart"

🌳🏠

I was five and a half when I jumped from the tree house where we were playing. He told me to wait for him, but I didn't. I hurt my foot but didn't dare cry, because I don't want to break his heart.

I knew he was mad, but he pulled me to a hug when he saw how hard I was trying to hold my tears back.

"I told you to wait for me, didn't I?", he said, forcing himself to smile so I won't get scared.

I nodded my head, while biting my lips, not wanting to let go of those sobs.

"Wait for me, Patricia... always wait for me", he said, as he turned around and carried me on his back.

🧭🗺

Then when we were seven, I lost the bracelet that he gave me. He asked me to sit on a bench and wait, while he went back to look for it.

I kept on waiting and waiting, but he didn't come. It's getting dark, and I was getting scared. I started to cry, rubbing my eyes, as I kept on walking in circles. I was too tired and too scared, that I just gave up and sat on the grass.

Then when all my hope was gone, I saw light coming from afar, and there I saw him, running towards me.

"Didn't I tell you to wait for me in front of the bench?", he asked, but this time, he didn't look mad. He looked... scared.

"But it took you a while. I thought you forgot about me"

"Why are you crying?"

"I'm not crying", I said, as I was wiping my tears, trying to hide my sobs.

"Don't ever lie to me Carla"

I looked at him, torn. "But I don't want to break your heart either"

Then he just looked at me, that look that would always make me confess even to the things that I didn't even do.

"I thought you're not going to find me"

"I will always find you"

"What if you don't?"

"I will"

"But if you don't?"

"That's not an option, Carla. Not finding you is never in the options. You have to trust me"

"What do I do then while you're finding me"

"Wait for me... just wait for me... that's all"

"Hm?"

"Promise me you'll wait for me... wait for me while I'm finding my way to you... and trust me... trust me that I will find you, no matter what"

I looked at him and I nodded my head.
I knew I love him from then..

~

I hope I can say "and we lived happily ever after", but unfortunately, there's no way our story is going that way.

While I kept on praying for him to be my end game, I later on realized that probably to him, I was simply a backstory to his ever after.

I am Carla Patricia Martinez, and this is our story. I hope I'll be strong enough not to cry... because regardless of how mad I am at him, I don't have it in me to break his heart. So I will try... try hard not to cry, even if he keeps on breaking mine.