Onset

I once read this story about a man who promised to find his wife in any universe and in any lifetime.

I don't believe that-
I mean, multiverse could exist, but finding that one person in the sea of strangers?
Nah... I don't buy that.

A boy once told me that he will find me, no matter what.
And I believed him.
I even made his life simpler, staying still, waiting patiently at that place where he asked me to.

There's no need for him to actually find me.
He just needs to remember where he left me.

🎵🎶Help, I'm still at the restaurant
Still sitting in a corner I haunt
Cross-legged in the dim light
They say, "What a sad sight" 🎶🎵

But I guess, promises of seven-year-old's cannot be trusted.
Dang! I bet all my pogs and teks to Budoy that Billy actually would when we grow up.

🎵🎶I'm right where you left me
You left me no, oh, you left me no
You left me no choice but to stay here forever🎶🎵

———

8th Feb

It was my Kuya Patrick's 23rd birthday.
Kitana, his girlfriend of two years, is throwing him a party at a bar in Makati.
I'll be turning 19 exactly a week from now- almost a year legal to enter a bar.

I first saw Christian (Chop chop) and Brian (Budoy) among all the bodies dancing in the crowd.
Ang kulit nitong dalawang to!

I took a bottle of beer from one of the tables, and stood at the background, watching the chaos unfold in front of me. Not really chaos, but I never really feel comfortable in a place where I don't know half the people.

I heard someone called my name, so I waved back and smiled.
I don't really recall meeting him before, but I gave a "hey!" back, silently praying that he won't come this way.

I released the breath I didn't know I was holding when I saw Jeremy stopped him from coming to my direction, pointing at someone, making him immediately forget that he initially was thinking to find me, whoever that guy is.

But I get that- I'm not their typical "chicks". I'm not sweet enough. Not lady enough. Not pretty enough. Just like what Budoy would always tell me- I'm too rough around the edges. Good enough na tropahin, but not that good enough para jowain.

I smiled, shaking my head.
I'm not Aya- I'm not that sweet, demure, soft-spoken Aya, whom everyone seems to always have the inkling to protect. And though we couldn't be more different than night and day, I silently laughed to myself, still amused, remembering that gal is actually my best friend.

I'm staying in a two-bedroom apartment on-campus with her; she's taking Tourism, while I'm taking Architecture. Night and Day. Tsk!

Speaking of Aya- Kitana said she's also attending the party.But knowing her, she has probably fled the place five minutes after seeing the crowd.

I was brought back to present when the music changed and I heard Budoy and Chop chop shouting at the dance floor. They hated it every time I call them their childhood nicknames. And though they would always complain how "nakakalalaki" na ako minsan, somehow I knew that when I needed help, one call and they'll both be running to save me- Damsel in Distress or not.

I was nursing that bottle, checking my watch.
I didn't really intend to stay long.
I just need someone to see me so they can tell Kuya Patrick that I actually came.

I'll probably just finish this bottle, then I'll call Budoy to check whether he has plan of going anytime soon. How I wish Miggy is here, so I don't need to play pretend! Because the moment he looked at me, that guy somehow knew what's running inside my head and he'd be the first to think of a lie so he can take me out of here.