The How's and Why's

Present

Billy immediately stood up, took Zee from me, then offered his hand, as he pulled me to stand.
This is going too fast.

"Sir... can we take a photo po"

"Sure sure... "he said, as he has his right arm around me, his other holding Zee.

"You have such a beautiful family, Sir. Pwede kayong pang-commercial"

"Shy type si Little Boss, Kuya", I heard him said, as his hold to me tightened.

"Mukhang hindi naman po", Billy and I looked at Zee,  and we both laughed as we saw her smile fully at the camera, then she turned to us, crinkling her nose, grinning.

*flash*

———

Five years ago....
Thirty four weeks apart
New York Wednesday 4pm

All the floodgates were suddenly opened.
I don't care if he's no longer mine...
Regardless of the chaos in the "us" status, I know our friendship tag would remain.
That should be enough.
I bit my lips, weighing my option...

If he rejected the idea, ok lang.
At least, I tried...

"Billy... could you do me a favour... "

"Carla..."

"I'm scared..."

"I'm here, Baby"

"Can you stay with me on the line... even for just a couple of minutes, please?"

"Anything for you, P. What do you want me to do?"

"Just stay on the line... and Love... I would need to put you on mute..."

"Carla..."

"No questions, Billy. Please... can you do that...for me?"

"Anything...."

When Kuya Pat entered, he was puzzled when the nurse and I were laughing.

"Kanina lang, kinakabahan ka a"

"Sir, si baby daddy kasi kanina pa nagsasalita na walang kausap", our Filipino nurse said, na medyo kinikilig sa amin.

Kung alam lang ni Ate ang story namin, baka kanina pa sya nag-breakdown.

"Baby... are you still awake? Let me just go to my room and charge my phone. I won't be hanging up... I know... I know..."

Kuya Pat looked at me, shaking his head.
Pinagbigyan na lang din siguro nya ako... lalo na today.

"P, hindi kaya pinagti-trip-an mo na lang ako?  You're really not talking and I don't even have the slightest idea how long should I stay on the line... maybe, I'll wait until you talk again. Don't worry.. I will still be here waiting when you come back"

We were at the delivery room and our nurse has convinced the team to have my phone on speaker.

I smiled, truly grateful...
I've prayed for it, but never have I expected that it would be given...
I really thought I'd be on my own...

Years down the road, when all has been said and done.... you might not know it, but Love, you were there when our Little Zee was born.

"Baby... have you ever think of how Zyanya would look like? Maybe we can call her Zee. I can already imagine how mad she would be when she needs to correct everyone on how to say her name. I can't wait to see her, P. I'm sure you'll be a great Mama. And I will be there with you every step of the way. I'm excited for our future, P. I can't wait to start our family together...."