22. Scrambled Eggs - 4

I sit besides Angel in the couch as he retells the story excitedly, flailing his arms around for emphasis.

"And then, when that buff guy started beating the shit outta ya!" He tells Pentious with a giggle as I stare at him softly, smiling at his genuine behaviour.

"Yes, and with the dismembered arm, yes!" The snake laughs too, before faltering.
"That was... particularly unpleasant." I laugh at that, leaning into Angel's side slightly.

"I liked that part." Nifty giggles as we all side eye her wearily, though then I just laugh again.

"Still surprised this little thing here managed to slip in between us and how I didn't even notice." I say, pointing towards Nifty's excited smile.

"To be fair, there wasss an explosion right next to you." Pentious reasons as I shrug, gingerly getting up from the couch as I watch Husk approach us from the bar, holding a bottle in one hand and a glass in the other.

"Well, hey, at least you can take a beating like a champ. You did okay, new kid." The bartender pats Pentious' shoulder as he passes by him, offering me the whiskey glass I asked for as he chooses to drink from the bottle instead. I smile at him thankfully taking the glass.

"Really? Oh well, I suppose I did get into a little of the old rough and tumble today." I watch as Husk and Angel share a small glance and smiles, my chest somehow feeling warm at the sight.
"And uh, thank you for pulling me out of there." The tallest demon thanks both Angel and I, as the spider pats his shoulder roughly as we all laugh, though Nifty ends up ruining the moment with her own hysterical laugh.

I hear the creak of the main doors, watching as Alastor walks inside the hotel, Pentious' eggs still trailing behind him.

"Alastor! Failed to get rid of the eggs, I see." Vaggie calls from up a balcony, watching us alongside Charlie.

"Yes, well, the little monsters prove to be rather useful." The radio demon says, smiling creepily.

"Why don't you give them back to Pentious?"

"Really?" The snake starts to tear up a bit at the mention.

"Yeah. After today, I guess I can trust you with them. But seriously, no more weapons." She answers sharply, as Pentious throws himself over his minions, getting emotional.

"Ahhh! My eggs! Yay. Ah, it's so good to have you back." Then suddenly, he lets them all down and points to his room angrily.
"Now, go clean my quarters this instant!"

I laugh at the display alongside Angel, Husk and Nifty, watching as the last one starts laughing maniacally again before spotting a roach and running behind it with a huge knife.

"I really don't think we should be letting her around knives." I say, watching her run around. I notice Husk about to answer, but before he can a static voice interrupts him.

"Rio. Can we have a small talk?" I frown as Husk moves away looking rather apalled, taking a long swig from his bottle as both him and Angel move away and towards the bar instead. I sigh, following the radio demon towards whatever room he leads me to, before closing the door behind him.

"There's no way something important was told during that fuckass meeting, so why do you want to talk, Al?" I ask confused, watching the now closed door wearily.

"Why interesting things did happen during the meeting! But that's not what I wanted to talk about."

"Is it Rosie then?" I ask carefully, some tension leaving my shoulders as I'm truthfully happy to hear about my friend.

"Yes she was there as well! Dearest as always, of course. She's such a nice person to be with, though she seemed in a hurry while leaving. Maybe you left her with too much work to deal with after arriving here?" He tilts his head, and I notice how he's just trying to tease me.

"You didn't want to talk about Rosie either. So what is it?" I ask, crossing my arms.

"She wasn't your only friend who attended." He states and my eyes widen at the mention, a chill going through my spine.

"Really?" I ask, almost a whisper.

"Yes indeed! Teasing Carmilla as always, of course. Came with big news, and left unbothered too. Such a charmer, your friend." He rolls his eyes sarcastically and I scoff at the mention.

"That's... The Vee's really just left her to deal with an Overlord Meeting? Is that all they're leaving her for now? The assholes." I frown, thinking back on Val and Vox's sorry asses.

"You know, she also looked around the room when she arrived. Looked like she was looking for someone?" Alastor teases, and I growl at the mention.

"I really doubt that. I know her. Velvette wouldn't still be wondering about me after so much time. I know she's better than that."

"I don't know about that, my friend." He shrugs, moving his staff around playfully while walking towards the door.
"I do however know that if you still haven't forgotten what happened, her case might as well be the same." And with that, he just leaves me behind in the dimly lit room, static noises echoing through the halls as he moves away.

***

Slumping on a barstool besides the two alcoholic demons, I groan.

"Geez, was it that bad?" Husk asks, immediately pouring me a drink as I let out a pained sigh. Taking whatever the cat poured in my glass in one hand, I reach out to Angel with the other.

"Cigarette?" I ask pleadingly. The spider just shakes his head, raising a confused eyebrow at me as he refuses.

"I thought Creepy Smiles just wanted ta talk?" He asks confused, and both Husk and I scoff at the mention.

"Creepy Smiles knows too fucking much."