27. Masquerade - 4

I walk silently, staring at the ground with a frown and absent mind. I feel like there really isn't a long way to wherever Angel is off to, as there's some streets whole of bars which are pretty near to where we are right now, so really there's no need for conversation. Husk doesn't agree.

"You're quiet." He starts.

"You pushed him." I reply curtly.

"He pushed me too."

"Still there was no need for all of that."

"He started it."

"He had a bad day."

"I don't care."

"Fuck you."

A pause. The air is tense and I hug myself as I walk, still just staring at the ground like it's the prettiest thing in Hell, like I'm not stepping over dried blood, glass shards and puke all around. Such a wonderful sight.

"Are we really goin' to do this again? I thought we talked it out already." He says, and I can sense the confusion as I sigh.

"...I already manipulated them."

"...what?" And now the confusion is even more apparent.

"I... I didn't even notice, but I did. A goody-two-shoes? Vaggie doubting that I could be at fault?" I shake my head with a scoff.
"I'm nowhere near good, but I somehow made everyone believe that without even noticing."

"...maybe you just are a good person, Rio." And I can't help but let out a sarcastic laugh at that.

"Ohohoh- of course! Am I not such charming company? That's why I'm in Hell, you see! I'm just too good for Heaven, God felt jealous!!" I laugh hysterically looking at Husk and noticing his concerned face.
"Heh. Fucking bullshit." Kicking some random bottle away from my feet, I frown to the ground again.

"...he's there." I quickly look up at the words, following where Husk is pointing with a roll of his eyes, and spotting a way-too-excited Angel going inside some rusty bar.

Following the spider inside, Husk pushes someone away aggressively as they bump into him, and I roll my eyes walking to the bar counter.

"Gimme a whiskey." The cat says roughly as he sits besides me. The bartender serves him a glass but he swipes the bottle instead.
"I meant the whole bottle, jackass." The guy stares at Husk dumbfounded before turning to me silently, as if waiting for me to order something.

"No drinks now, just fuck off." I dismiss him with a flick of my wrist, and he just rolls his eyes before leaving.

"Haha, ya, ya, so I said "You couldn't afford me in a million afterlives" I got better options, right boys?" Angel makes the gangsters around him laugh after he snorts some drugs. Husk just snarls at the sight and I sigh.
"Hey, baby, be a doll and bring me another one? Daddy's outta juice!" Some shark demon sits just right beside me after leaving the actor's side, motioning for two drinks, and spiking Angel's.

"Shit." I say, frowning and trying to think of ways to stop this but Husk is quicker.

"Son of a-" He grumbles before sitting up and motioning me to follow.

"Here you go, darling. Just for you-" The demon tries, but is interrupted as Husk grabs the back of his shirt, lifting him forcefully.

"Nice try, fuckhead." He throws the guy across the room, and all the other gangsters around Angel take their hands out at the sight.

"Oh you crazy shit." I mumble, widening my eyes.
"Angel, come on!" I prompt him to follow as Husk grabs his arm, pulling him behind him as I follow, not used to fighting.

"Let's go." He says curtly, throwing some cards which cut the gangster's gun barrels off as well as a net, trapping them. He then drags Angel out the bar forcefully, as I follow them with a groan.

"What the actual fuck are you guys doin' here?! Let go a' me!" The spider tries, thrashing around in Husk's grip.

"No. I'm takin' you back to the hotel."

"Get off!"

"Husker, for fuck's sake!!" I approach them, forcing his hands off the actor, releasing him.

"Oh thank you for the help as always, you fake dickhead!" The spider snaps at me, flipping me off as I scoff.

"Talk about fake!" I hiss back and he growls at me, his eyes flashing an intense fuchsia color.

"That fucker put somethin' in your drink." Husk explains angrily.

"You don't think I can tell if someone spikes my drink? I do this all the fuckin' time!" Angel shouts back, and I roll my eyes at the mention.

"You just let people drug you all the time?" The cat inquires angrily, making the tallest of us tremble as he answers desperately.

"Ya think I ask for it?!? I don't ask for any of this shit! I didn't ask to be this way. I didn't ask for Charlie to save me, I didn't ask for none of you to save me. I can handle myself." He approaches us, motioning his hands around angrily, sending me a glare and poking Husk's chest accusingly.

"Really? Because I just saw someone self-destructin'. It seems like... I don't know... you might need a bartender to talk to." He remarks while gripping his suspenders and I sigh, shaking my head at the display.

"Oh, so now you're goin' ta act like ya give a shit about me? Ya think after how ya treated me, I'm gonna open up to ya? Please." Angel scoffs, dismissing us and trying to walk off again.

"Maybe I'd treat you better if you were real, and not some bullshit version of yourself, always pushin' my boundaries! Lemme tell ya, nobody in that hotel cares who you are. How famous, how hot, so you might as well just... cut the act." I growl at Husk's harsh words, ready to snap but Angel's tears stop me from it.

"It's not an act!!" He screams, his voice breaking.
"It's who I need to be." He crosses his arms, before gesturing to the street.
"And this... This is my escape! Where I can forget about it all! How much I hate... everything." My chest hurts at the way his voice goes down a notch at the mention, my ears flattening slightly as I frown while watching.
"A place where I can get high, and not have to think about how much it hurts. And maybe... If I can ruin myself enough in the process... if I end up broken, I won't be his favorite toy anymore... and maybe he'll let me go..."

He sits on the sidewalk, curling up with his legs to his chest while hugging them. Sighing I walk by his side, stopping before sitting down though, faltering in my actions.

Maybe it's not the right time. Maybe I'm pushing. I shouldn't even care to begin with. What if I hurt him further?

I feel a hand brush the small of my back, Husk passing by me and sitting down besides Angel silently with a sigh, sending me a small, inviting smile.

Or maybe, just maybe, it's okay for me to care for once.

I sit by Husk's side, earning a proud glance.