48. Hello Rosie! - 4

"I'm afraid of the calendar. Its days are numbered!!" A playback of laughs can be heard alongside Alastor's own at his poor joke, as the cannibals in front of us just cough or chuckle awkwardly.

I sigh, rolling my eyes at the tacky demon just to widen them as I see Charlie approach us with Rosie.

"Fucking finally! I can't take any more dad jokes." Charlie smiles at me apologetically, taking Alastor's microphone gladly and starting to sing to the cannibals.

"Have you ever wanted something. That was so clear in your mind that you could taste it?"

"You mean like human flesh?" Susan asks and I lightly scoff.

"Eugh, sort of? It's a feeling like a rumbling in your gut that you could finally be faced with. A billion needy faces, I guess what I mean to say is: for the first time in my life I might have to be ready for this. Ready to be the one who's leading from the front. Gotta come into my own. Gotta come into my throne. Gotta take charge and defend my only home. And although I kinda feel unsteady now I need to be ready for this." She marches down the stairs proudly, getting into the crowd.
"Have you ever felt like you're willing to die to save the people of your city?"

"By die, you mean use my teeth to rip flesh apart?" The old woman asks again. When will she shut up?

"That's a start! Cause right now, we need a leader and it seems to me that destiny has picked me to be that if you'll permit me, so who's with me?" She then starts dancing, and I smile at the cheery sound of her song, it really suits her.
"Wouldn't it be super to see more of Hell? Join up now if you like travel. Come on boys, hop in the saddle. Lotta sights to see en route to my hotel, not to mention the camaraderie! Yes siree, you'll form life-changing friendships with the folks along the way."

"And feast on all the angels you can eat!" Alastor chimes by my side, the three cannibals besides him smiling widely at the mention, alongside me at the confirmation that I can eat angels. Wings just sound tasty.

"Okay..."

"Free food? I'm in!" The crowd starts going wild, everyone starting to sing and dance alongside Charlie.
"It's time now to act, they're on the attack." Alastor takes his microphone back, Rosie handing Charlie her stick and both of them pushing her proudly, as they take my arms as well to join them.
"When they move to strike we will fight biting back! We'll follow your lead. We're eager to feed. We'll sharpen our teeth for the heavenly feast! From this moment on, you can count on us to be resolute and ravenous! Our appetites are whet. And we're set to seize the day so I say, Oh hey! Come join the flesh buffet!"

"Well, that's a little violent, can we tone it down?" Charlie asks impressed and slightly scared.

"Oh, don't be put off by their snarlin'. That's enthusiasm, darlin'!" Rosie looks at me for confirmation, and I nod at Charlie as she looks at me unsure.

"Eh, they just seem a little murdery right now."

"Don't worry, honey, that's their thing, keep singing." The Overlord takes the princess' arm, dancing with her as they sing together.

"We're super duper grateful to have you folks aboard."

"Can't wait to taste an angel's wings!" I exclaim with the rest of the crowd, and Charlie looks surprised I even joined at all.

"Oh, Lord..." She sighs, encouraging the cannibals again as they pick her up.
"For the first time in my life maybe I can be ready for this. I can be the marshal leading the parade. I can come into my own. And I think I've always known my destiny could never be postponed. When Adam brings the battle here I must appear like I'm ready for this." They walk away from us, as Rosie and Alastor look at each other proudly over my head, each on either side of me as they're both taller.