Skye

Skye

"Wait!" I said, alarmed. "What am I going to do with these rubber duckies?"

The manager just stopped before she reached her doorway, and peaked back at me while I still had my hands full of her ducks.

"I don't know," she said, shrugging. "Throw a bath party?"

"Wait!"

But she already vanished through her office doors.

I stammered for a moment, searching the entire room for people but there were none.

What the hell? My boss told me to buy a fifty-pound box full of rubber duckies for our new cakes we were making, and then I came in with it, and she said, "whoops, never mind."

What the hell? What was I supposed to do with a fifty-pound box full of rubber duckies?

I sighed and grumbled incoherent curses under my breath, struggling a little as I carried the box of ducks to a table and sighed when I set it down.

"Need help?" a voice said from behind me, and I froze, spinning around.

My breath caught when my eyes locked on a tall man with dark eyes and pitch-black hair.

"Relax," he said, lowering the collar of his shirt.

The moment my eyes locked on those black runes spiraling over his skin, I settled back into myself.

"I always watch over you, you know," Sebastian said, smirking. "I won't let him near you."

"Yeah—yeah," I said, rolling my eyes as I adjusted my skirt that rode up a little. "You and your ego, Jesus."

He chuckled a little. "Someone's grumpy today."

I shot him a glare and waved impatiently to the box of rubber ducks. "That was a hundred dollars! Let alone fifty pounds! And all for nothing? I swear I'm going to—" I broke off and cast my boss's office a glance, when I saw the door closed, I looked back at Sebastian and whispered, "murder her."

He put his hand to his ear. "What?"

"Oh, shut it," I said, brushing off my skirt again. "You're not even supposed to be in here, Sebastian. If she sees you, I'm dead."

"You'll manage," he replied, laughing softly. "You're almost off shift anyway. Wanna catch a movie?"

I stared sadly down at the table for a moment.

He leaned forward to see my face. "What?"

My lashes lowered.

Months ago... Sebastian's twin brother, North, stabbed me with daemivenom. It wasn't toxic to me because it already entered my bloodstream directly, but... what scared me was that it was acid to angels. One drop on Sebastian's skin, and he'd burn alive.