I was on fire

I was on fire.

One moment—after Claire finished the chant—everything turned white, and the next, I was sitting on the floor, gasping when I felt a string snap inside me.

And I suddenly felt free.

Then my sight came back, and I blinked, finding Skye on the floor, unconscious, and North was standing next to her, a sudden shock washing over his face.

And then the moment settled in further, and North stared down at his hands.

The sound of sizzling bacon filled the air.

North screamed then, throwing his head back as the skin of his arms burnt and frayed like he had been set on fire, and he shook them off, stumbling backwards.

The runes on the house... he was no longer immune to them.

Claire broke our connection.

He stumbled backward, staring up at me with a look of betrayal, and he rushed out from the room, leaving the scent of burning flesh and the sound of agony rinsing through the house.

I stared after him in shock, knowing that we were safe.

"Sebastian," Claire whispered.

I gazed up at her in question, and she just covered her mouth. "Skye."

I looked over to find Skye staring up at the ceiling, breathing shakily as her eyes glistened with fear.

The moment I noticed the blood flooding from under her, I immediately shot over to her.

Panic burned through me, and I ran my hands over her body, finding her trembling as if she'd been having a seizure.

"Get Doctor Jen," I said, "NOW."

Claire rushed from the room then, darting up the stairs at light speed as I lifted Skye in my arms.

She whimpered, breathing shakily as I cradled her to my chest.

"Shhh..." I soothed, rocking her a little, "I know. I know."

She dropped her head to my shoulder, choking on her own tears as she tried to push away the pain.

She wasn't going to die.

I wouldn't allow it.

Claire and Doctor Jen came running in seconds later, and Jen dropped to her knees in front of Skye, lifting some liquid in a medicine cup in her hand. "Open your mouth."

She shakily parted her lips, eyes rolling to the top of her head as if the movement burned her, and Doctor Jen pushed the cup to her lips, tipping the liquid down her throat.

She choked a little on it, struggling to swallow.

"Massage her throat a little, Sebastian," Jen said.

I listened, lightly rubbing a tender spot under her jaw as she whimpered a little, but she finally swallowed it, breathing shakily.

"What was it?" Claire said.

"Antivenom," Jen replied. "With a mix of the healing meds."

I gazed back down at Skye as the shaking eased, and she relaxed into me, lashes fluttering shut.

"Skye?" I said, tapping her face.

"It's okay," Jen said, touching her chest, "she's still breathing. This is normal. Just let her rest."

I gazed back down at Skye, setting my cheek on her head as I rocked her. "Shhh..." I soothed, "you're okay."

Twenty minutes later, I carried Skye to her room, feeling her shift into me as she slept.

Her wounds had healed, and her skin was now its normal color. I had to take her to the infirmary so Doctor Jen could make sure her vitals were alright, and she was fine.

I knew she would be.

No one could take her from me.

We just cleaned all the blood off her, and I took her upstairs, hoping to rid her from this nightmare.

I laid her down on the bed, hearing her moan in annoyance, but I still puffed her pillow, moved her to a more comfortable position, and pulled the covers over her.

I then gazed down at my arm, finding a drop of her blood staining my skin...

And it never burned.

North was right. The angel ritual eradicated the daemivenom from her system. It made more sese now.

And he knew it the whole time.

My jaw locked as anger burned through me.

If only I could kill him, I'd be so happy.

But I heard a sudden moan of annoyance, and I gazed down at the bed, finding Skye's lashes fluttering.

Then her eyes opened, and she looked at me, disoriented.

"Hey," I said, sitting beside her on the bed as she gazed hazily at me, "how are you feeling?"

She just turned over and shuffled toward me, resting her head on my lap before she relaxed into bed; asleep again.

"Kay," I said then, chuckling. "Because that answers my question."