035

35

35.

One day.....

___

A day had passed and she had still felt the weight of that, moment when the clock struck midnight.

The silence that followed after that day, was very much expected, as it dawned on her gradually that their fears, her apprehension about assuming the role of First Lady, Theodore becoming President and his fear of losing her again, were all creating a divide in their otherwise blossoming relationship.

That was what she had thought, until it was the fourth day of silence between them both.

Parker started coming around with bouquet of flowers, notes attached and asking her very vague question. In a way she was slightly overwhelmed with all the flowers and the questions that Parker would ask but she didn't mind, feeling quite grateful for it as it caused her to think about that one specific question he had asked days, eventually a week ago that made her realize that it had indeed stirred a hint of fear within her, though not as much as it might have five years prior.

Five years ago, the whirlwind of falling in love with Theodore had spun her world so rapidly that echoes of her ex's demeaning voice haunted her nights, his face invading her dreams.

Faced with this, she made the difficult decision to leave.

Eventually, a week passed, and during that week, Nia had spent that period, imaging l herself learning to love every part of him, even the part where she's acknowledging him being President and the idea of being married to a President.

It eventually dawned on her that this was somewhat starting to feel like this was karma for leaving him out of fear.

She chuckled bitterly at the irony that he seemed to be reacting in a similar way, just not leaving entirely.

At least that was her assumption.

The news media on the other hand was getting, frenzy surrounding his inauguration, with Lisa being mentioned countless times that Nia lost count. Despite her promise not to search for any articles, she couldn't resist the temptation. Among the multitude of articles, one article in particular caught her attention, was one written by a smaller news company and titled.

District Attorney; The ex wife of The President Elect. Sources say she's fit for First Lady.

She could not help but feel jealous and perhaps even anger.

Reading that article, made her feel oddly envious of Lisa Vera, who was deemed classy, beautiful, and already perceived as the perfect First Lady in that particular article.

The Perfect First Lady.

She was his ex-wife. Nia thought.

And she was beautifully white.