Chapter 1: Luth

"Do you really think that cell can keep him locked in?"

"It certainly will, Miss Junil. The cell is self-regenerating and powered by his own magic."

The armored Hero and his assistant Healer stared into the cell. The most dangerous individual in the world was held within. He was also the most restrained person in the world. Thick shackles made of a silver-like substance were clasped around his wrists and ankles, wrapped around his neck, and bent around his torso.

The chains could've had enough slack for him to move within his cell, to a certain extent. But the sheer number of chains linked to his shackles prevented a lot of that movement.

Almost anyone else in such a situation would be pitied if the person in question was not the Demon Lord himself.

"Are you sure about that?" the Healer asked.

"I am sure. Even if he still had the capability to attack his way through the cell, it would simply mend itself from his own magic. It would be a particularly unpleasant experience, should it grow around him while he is attempting to escape."

The Healer blinked in response to that statement.

"Sounds brutal," she replied.

"This has been considered an acceptable measure to keep him restrained."

Both of them were referring to the individual within those shackles, of course. Luth's appearance was recognizable anywhere on that continent, mostly due to the wanted and reward posters that were pinned on the walls of every single bulletin board and public notice wall possible.

His short-cut hair was pale orange, almost the color of an apricot. A pair of similarly-colored irises glimmered right beneath his half-lidded eyes, surrounding his black, snake-slit pupils.

Two dark horns protruded from the sides of his head, behind the temples of his head. The gray horns curled out from the sides of his head, angled back in a particularly sleek manner.

Upon hearing his own name, the Demonfolk's eyes flickered over to peer at the two. The Healer could see bags under his eyes. She attributed it to the constant magic draining he had been enduring.

"Ronn, Junil. You are here again. It has been a little over a month since you two last visited."

His voice croaked. It was raspy, grating to the ears. On instinct, the Healer grabbed at her water canteen. But her companion thought otherwise.

"Junil," the armored Hero said.

She stopped, to glance up at the Hero. "I'm just getting him water."

"He does not need water."

"Ronn, be reasonable. Can we just leave him in this state?"

The armored Hero turned to look at the shorter Healer. She could see his gray eyes from between the slits in his full-face knight helmet.

"We came here to question the Demon Lord. Nothing else."

With hesitation, Junil capped her canteen.

As the two conversed with one another, Luth peered through the bars of his prison.

"Question? What are you looking to question me on? My armies have been smashed, my command has been dissolved, and my plans—"

"Enough."

Ronn's head snapped back to look at the Demon Lord, who shut up immediately.

"We are looking for your sibling."

Upon hearing those words, Luth's gaze darted away. He opened his mouth, then closed it, unsure what to say.

"Do not try to fool us. We are well aware of their existence, from documents we have recovered."