Chapter 13: Junil

Ronn and Junil paid their fare, and the attendant proceeded to lead them onto the rail engine. Now that it was public, there were a lot of people in the carriages — it was indeed very full, with two people on the benches on either end of the aisle going down the middle.

"I'm sorry for the rather cramped space in here," the train attendant apologized. "One of you will have to stand, which is typically against riding policy, but I shall make an exception as you are the Hero."

"It is fine. While I am typically averse to safety risks, there is little harm in these temporary accommodations," the Hero replied.

Ronn, who did not have a seat himself, simply stood in the aisle next to Junil. He had both of his hands to his side.

The Healer didn't take much note of the person that was in the seat next to her — until she glanced over, and saw some very familiar orange-apricot colored hair.

The passenger in the window-side seat was the same Demonfolk from the bakery that morning, and the same one Ronn ran into on the rail line yesterday.

"Isn't that the same Demonfolk girl we saw in the bakery?" Junil asked. She leaned over to the Hero, who looked down at the passenger next to Junil.

"It seems so, yes," Ronn replied. "And she is the one I had run into when we first arrived at Grand Elm."

Everyone on the rail engine lurched backwards. They could hear the hissing of steam as the carriages began to slowly move forward.

It seemed the Demonfolk girl next to them was getting excited. Her tail twitched in anticipation, as her apricot-colored eyes widened at the landscape moving out the window.

"It's... interesting that we've run into her so many times. She seems friendly," Junil said.

Ronn nodded. "Talk to her. You may make a new friend today."

Junil scoffed, but she couldn't lie to herself that she was mildly interested in a conversation with the Demonfolk girl. It's just, Junil didn't know how to approach her.

It only took thirty seconds for Ronn to figure that out about his Healer.

"You can strike up a casual conversation. Demonfolk are nothing to be afraid of in this day and age."

"I'm still uneasy speaking to them..."

"I am right here. You are in no danger."

Junil looked from Ronn to the Demonfolk girl.

"Fine," she gasped.

Junil then scooted next to the Demonfolk girl. Her attention still appeared to be on the window outside. From this angle, the Healer could see that the girl's orange hair was... scraggy, to say the least. It was somewhat long, but it seemed like she hadn't had the most precise haircut.

That was, if it even had been cut at all.

"Uh, hello," Junil said.

The girl's head whipped around to look at Junil. Round, innocent eyes met Junil's eyesight; a bright apricot-orange in color. They glimmered with curiosity, and right now the Demonfolk girl was directing that curiosity at the Healer.

Something about those eyes felt familiar.

"Hi," Junil continued. "Do you... want to talk, maybe? What's your name?"

"My name?" the Demonfolk girl asked. She took a moment to think about it, before grinning. "My name is Soll-ar!"

She then pointed her finger at Junil. "What is your name?"