Chapter 22: Winnsol

Sollar stepped through the empty, dimly-lit streets of New Frontierland. She glanced left and right, in confusion, at the apparent lack of people that should've been out and about.

The streets were washed in a light orange glow from the oil lamps that lined the road. Most of the doors and windows were closed and shuttered. She could see the occasional person walk by, but when she raised her arm to greet them, they'd step around to the edge of the road, to avoid the Demonfolk girl.

Sollar frowned. People here didn't seem all that friendly.

The Demonfolk girl had been wandering aimlessly. She didn't know what to do from here on out; the people at Fort Logger told her that she could 'find help' around here. But they never specified anything past that.

But then, she perked her head up. Sollar thought she heard something.

The Demonfolk girl remained quiet, straining her ears. She then caught it again.

It sounded like someone was calling her name.

"Sollar!"

She stopped at one of the brick road intersections. The Demonfolk girl turned her head to the left, in the direction of the voice.

"Sollar, where in the world are you?"

That voice sounded familiar.

"Hey, Sollar!"

She remembered now, that was the General's voice!

"Gen-rall Forr-ar!" she exclaimed, running in the direction of the shouts.

It wasn't long before the Demonfolk girl could spot the General, who was also running through the streets and scanning the streets after hearing her voice. The moment he caught sight of her, the two immediately sprinted for each other.

Sollar stretched her arms out, as if for a hug. General Forge, likewise, raised his arms.

And grabbed her by the shoulders the moment the two made contact.

"Sollar!" he exclaimed. "Where in the world were you? I step away for a minute to retrieve Mandrel and you disappear for half the day!"

The Demonfolk girl almost cowered at how loud the General was speaking. General Forge realized that he was scaring her, so he released his grip on Sollar's shoulders.

"Uh... It's fine, it's not your fault," he muttered. "It's mine, I'm supposed to be watching over you after all."

The Demonfolk girl was still a little shaken ru.

"It's... not my fault?" she asked.

"No, it's not... Where in the world were you?" General Forge asked. "Everyone said you had gotten on the rail engine, but then I heard something happened to it. I had to walk across the whole length of the rail!"

"Oh, that!" Sollar exclaimed. "There's this Hero-person who wants me! I don't know why, but he tried to hit me, and I fell off the Rail Engine thingy."

"He tried to — oh no..." General Forge muttered. "Did he say anything to you? At all?"

The Demonfolk General stepped around Sollar, examining her for any injuries at all. But he couldn't see a single cut, bruise, or scrape on her.

The Demonfolk girl shrugged. "I don't know! He just called me 'Second Coming'. But it's not my name, so I told him. He tried to get me, though!"

"Sollar, you weren't hurt at all, right?"

"Nope!" she exclaimed. "I fell on this boat. It was a barge! This lady named Riss-ar helped me get to... uh..."