Chapter 27: Seis

The fast boat was... fast, to say the least. General Forge didn't know how else to describe the speed at which they were going, but it was much faster than any form of water transportation the Demonfolk ever had.

No wonder the Humans had been able to organize so many surprise attacks on the coasts during the war.

Right now, he was watching Sollar standing at the bow of the ship. She had her arms outstretched, like a bird, with her shovel in one hand. She raised the arm holding her shovel up, then aimed it directly forward. As though she was directing the ship.

General Forge glanced up at the sails, which were very obviously being powered by magic. It seemed the masts of the vessel were made of some type of metal that they were channeling magic into, as evident by the light-blue glow coming from them. However, he wasn't specialized much in how magic worked on a fundamental level, so he couldn't really guess how the Humans even got boats that could go faster than the wind.

Now that General Forge had a moment where he wasn't actively supervising Sollar or worrying over her, he had some time to think by himself. His thoughts were drifting to the other Demonfolk Generals.

"Maybe General Riall could explain to me how this fast boat worked," he murmured.

Of all the Generals, he questioned the most recent appointee, the Fourth Demonfolk General known as General Riall. She was very intelligent, he could not deny that. And was also very mentally mature. However, intelligence and maturity didn't necessarily correlate with leadership skills. In fact, she was likely the most meek of them all.

Before, he saw that as a liability. Now? He could only feel pity for her, since she was now effectively serving as the puppet leader of the Demonfolk territories. Heck, she was even appointed as such against her will!

Right... General Forge pressed a few fingers to the side of his head, to allow him to think. He didn't like the idea of questioning Lord Luth. The Demon Lord did say that General Riall was very useful in innovating Demonfolk weapons to be used against the Humans.

Riall became the Fourth General late in the years of the war. Maybe if she had been noticed sooner, she could've had an effect. It was probably too late at the time she had been promoted. Whatever benefit might've been gleaned from her intelligence had been minimal, as the Humans were already encroaching on the inner Demonfolk territories.

He thought over to the Second Demonfolk General, Seis. She had supported the appointment of Riall. The First Demonfolk General, Brington, he had been indifferent.

And, of all four of the Demonfolk Generals, the Humans were only officially aware of the location of General Riall. Dang it, did Forge paint himself as a target by assisting Sollar? He hadn't really considered it, since he didn't even have to lie low when working as a laborer on the Frontier. But the chase at New Frontierland was definitely putting him on the radar.

And where were the others now? Brington and Seis simply disappeared. Had they melted away into the population to live out a regular life? Or were they plotting?

The second thought actually scared General Forge a bit. He still saw himself as a Demonfolk General, but was absolutely not looking forward to fighting again. His pride still hurt, even months after his weapon was slashed in half by the Hero, and the end of his horn broken off.

What was he even doing here?

He was snapped out of his thoughts by Sollar. She was looking at him from the bow of the ship.

"Why aren't you jumping around?" Sollar asked. "Being on a boat is fun, isn't it?"

Right... he was here to help his Lady. She might've not been all that bright, but she still was the Demon Lord's younger sister.