Chapter 29: Skarrol

Sollar had literally run her way up the spiral staircase. Once reaching the top, she then peered out at the Capital, seeing that she was now basically on top of the city. Pillars of smoke rose from the streets, and she could still hear the sounds of clashing and the occasional explosion.

Taking her attention away from the backdrop of the city, the Demonfolk girl then turned to look at the few doors there were around the area. Some were heavy wooden doors, others were metal ones that had locks on them. The locks were no difficulty for her; she could simply cut them open with Shov-ar. But there were so many that it was difficult for her to make a choice...

One of the doors opened, a heavy metal one, and out came a particular gray-haired Harpy. He did not expect to see Sollar upon stepping out, and performed a double-take.

"Wait, Luth, how did you get...?"

He paused, then blinked twice. "Hold on, you're not Luth."

Sollar gripped her shovel instinctively. The Harpy stepped closer, feathered hands behind his back, as he peered at the Demonfolk girl.

"...Yeah, I see a resemblance," he started. "So you're the one!"

She immediately raised Shov-ar up, which caused the Harpy to step back.

"Bird person?" she asked. "Get away! I'm going to Luth-ar!"

"Hey, hey. No worries, I ain't gonna hurt ya,"

He then reached his hand out, for a handshake. "Name's Skarrol. I've been talking with your brother for quite a bit. I'd ask for your name, but I already know, you're Sollar right?"

Sollar gave a wary glance at him. Skarrol dropped his hand, seeing that she did not trust him.

"...You know?" Sollar asked. "About Luth-ar?"

"Luth-ar? Oh, Luth. Right, heh, you add that at the end of... every name, I almost forgot," Skarrol said. "Yeah, I know him. I know where he's at. And he knew that you were coming up here, too. Both of us were!"

"Really?" the Demonfolk girl asked. She lowered her shovel, and stared in amazement. "You did know? How?"

"That's... uh, you'll have to ask him," Skarrol replied. Rather, he didn't want to try to explain to her how the whole surveying system that Lord Luth used. "Follow me, he's just through this door!"

He waved his hand for her to follow, and threw open the metal door. Skarrol was only able to take four leisurely steps down the hallway before Sollar rocketed past him. He stopped the moment she did, staring in surprise at how fast the Demonfolk girl was.

Meanwhile, Sollar scanned each dungeon cell to the left and right of her, keeping an eye out for her brother. All the cells were empty, one after another, but then she spotted him near the end of the row.

She skidded to a stop and gave a yell.

"Luth-ar!"

Lord Luth, who was staring at the floor of his cell, glanced up. His eyes filled with light the moment he spotted his sister.

"S... Sollar!"

He stared, in shock, as Sollar reeled her shovel back. Subconsciously channeling her magical energy through the tool, she thrust it forward into the bars of the prison effortlessly.

Another swipe at the upper portion of the prison had the metal bars clatter to the floor, allowing Sollar to step through.

"Luth-ar!" she exclaimed again, throwing her arms out to grasp around Lord Luth. The Demon Lord, too, hugged back, embracing his younger sister