Chapter 6: Shov-ar

The large, makeshift tent was bustling with activity. Several Demonfolk were gathered around a large, equally makeshift table near the center of the tent. In the middle of it all was Mister Billings.

"Alright, quiet up everyone!" the entrepreneur exclaimed. He slammed his hand on the table to catch the attention of all the Demonfolk. "I gathered you all here today because this one's urgent!"

The chatter and conversation immediately died down. All eyes were on him.

"Recently, a fellow belonging to the Frontierland Rail Company approached me. They're currently building a rail line from New Frontierland to here, Grand Elm, and they're very behind schedule."

General Forge, who was foremost in the crowd, raised a hand. "What is this 'rail line' you're referring to?"

"Good question! It's a road, but with metal rails. Go figure why it's called that. Of course, the metal rails are designed to guide a self-propelling piece of technology that's basically like multiple wagons attached to each other. It's called a rail engine!"

The murmuring between the various Demonfolk started up again. There was curiosity and questions in the air; most had never heard of such a device before. Sollar and General Forge included.

"Rail engine! Rail engine! I'm excited! I want to see it!" Sollar said, in delighted whispers.

"Now, now, Lady Sollar," General Forge said back. "I'm curious at what it is too, but don't get ahead of yourself."

"I want to see it!" Sollar replied. She held both of her hands in fists in front of her and smiled.

"We can certainly take this job, if that's what you want."

Before the Demonfolk girl could give a response, Mister Billers spoke up again.

"Of course, the rail company and I drive a hard bargain, since the work isn't going to be easy for you folk," he said. "Lifting gravel, metal rails, hammering... I certainly don't doubt your strengths, but it's hard work. And guess what?"

He gave a moment of silence, for emphasis.

"They promise to double what we're currently paid!"

A few Demonfolk cheered at that news.

"Oh, and that's not the best part," the entrepreneur continued. "This was a risky move, but it paid off. You see, asking for labor on such short notice also came with a premium cost. Not only do they promise double pay, but if we can get it done in time, they also promised to grant all of us land!"

The cheers following that were even more cacophonous than previously. Mister Biller's monocle reflected some light, as he spread out his arms to the cheering crowd of Demonfolk.

"Our own homesteads! Can you believe that? I couldn't either, and I'm guessing they didn't believe me when I told 'em you all are willing to! Men and women, if we can get that railway completed quicker than they think we can complete it, the drinks and dinner party will be on me!"

In contrast to the cheering and shouting Demonfolk, General Forge and Sollar were quickly vacating the immediate vicinity of the crowd. Sollar had her hands over her ears to block out the noise.

"Lady Sollar. Are you alright?" General Forge asked.

"Crowd loud. I don't like..."

General Forge looked at the crowd, then back at Sollar. He then sighed.

"It's fine. I don't really like crowds or loud noises either. Reminds me of... other things."

The crowd gradually dispersed, as Mister Billers finished up with his parting words. As the entrepreneur stepped off the stage, General Forge walked towards the man.