Chapter 23: Fraul

To the disdain of an exhausted Junil, Ronn decided that the first thing both of them should do was to sweep the streets. Even though it was at a late hour, one that the Healer would've preferred to go to sleep at, the Hero insisted that searching in the precious hours they had before morning should take priority.

"She is likely to be planning as we speak," he said.

Junil wanted to argue, but she was too exhausted to commit any thought to it. She didn't stop grumbling as they patrolled the empty streets of New Frontierland, seeing almost nobody in every street they came across.

The first interesting individual they ran across wasn't the Second Coming, but rather, one of New Frontierland's night watchmen. Namely, a Wisp lamplighter.

"Oh, a pair of Demonfolk? And one being an apricot-haired girl?" the Wisp asked. She held a pole over her shoulder, with a lamp hanging off the end. The lamp was glowing a light blue.

"Indeed," Ronn confirmed. "Have you witnessed such an individual within the past several hours?"

The Wisp scratched her head. "Maybe? I might have the information, but it's being a little difficult for me to jog it up right now..."

Her lantern bobbled as she scratched her head with the hand she used to hold the lamp pole.

"Do you have difficulty recalling it?" Ronn asked.

"Yeah, somewhat. But my memory could be jogged if I had a little encouragement," the Wisp said. She made it obvious what she wanted, rubbing her thumb and pointer finger together.

Ronn simply stared her down.

"Absolutely not," he said.

Junil literally witnessed the Wisp shrink down from Ronn's statement.

"Y-y-you can't blame someone for trying to make some money nowadays, can't you?" the Wisp asked, trying to defend herself.

"This is official business of the Hero Party," Ronn replied. "It is imperative you tell us what you know, otherwise I might have a word with New Frontierland's council on your conduct."

Now that made the Wisp speak up.

"Alright, alright," she said. "But I don't remember exactly where I saw them. The streets look all the same at night, and I don't pay much attention to areas that I've already lit the lamps at."

"It is no matter," Ronn continued. "Simply point us in the direction they had gone."

"Well, I met them a few blocks back," she continued, pointing down the street. "But as for where they went? I don't remember, I just told them to find lodging for the night."

The Hero nodded.

"Very well," he said. "I will overlook the request you made for payment. Miss Junil, let us go."

After making sufficient distance for the Wisp to no longer be in earshot, Junil then asked Ronn a question.

"Did you not pay her out of principle, or because we didn't have the money?"

"A little bit of both, Miss Junil."

A grin was plastered on the Healer's face.

"Now you're a little nuanced. I like that," the Healer said.

"Without any interruptions from you, too. You'd typically interject yourself into a conversation like that," the Hero said.

Junil frowned.

"I don't like talking to Wisps... they're creepy," the Healer said. "How do you even handle talking to them?"

"It typically takes time to become acclimated to individuals that are apparitions. From what I have heard, Demonfolk do not have such issues," Ronn said.