Chapter 9: Mandrel

"We've got absolutely nothing useful! Romping around fields and asking everyone weird questions, and nobody's even given us a lead!" Junil yelled.

Both the Hero and the Healer were stepping into the town's inn for the night. The sun had almost already set, the sky darkening from a sunset yellow to a gradually darkening blue.

"Please lower your voice, Miss Junil. It is terribly rude to speak so loudly."

"Ronn, we've been walking around this town like fools. At least let me be mad!"

"We have gathered good information about the current state of this town's reconstruction after the war. Does that not account for anything?"

Junil grabbed a chair at one of the tables and pulled it back. "Oh, sure! I mean, that info is probably useful to someone running the reconstruction programs. Or a census. But are we running a reconstruction program right now, Ronn? Are we gathering information explicitly for a census bureaucrat at this very moment, Ronn? Or did you forget what we're here for in the first place?"

"I did not forget," he replied. "My questions were geared to find as much information as possible, while simultaneously revealing as little as I could."

"That annoys me. I can't argue with your logic, so I'm just going to stay annoyed."

The Healer crossed her arms and gave a huff. She took a seat as the Hero stepped over to a receptionist and requested for a room for the night.

Gazing her eyes over the occupants of the room, she could see a few semi-familiar faces that she had seen on the construction site. It seemed that a lot of the Demonfolk were dining here.

There was a cacophony of voices, plates, chairs screeching on wooden floors that assaulted Junil's ears. This only served to sour her mood.

The Healer heard the bell on the door chime, and glanced over to the newcomer. She stared at the new arrival for a second, then turned away.

Then did an immediate double-take, looking back at him.

She could recognize a Demonfolk General no matter where she went. Right now was definitely no exception.

As Ronn stepped back over to the table, Junil gave a tap to his armor.

"What is it?" Ronn asked, looking down at the Healer. Junil pointed at the front door, and the Hero immediately saw who she was referring to.

"I see," Ronn said. "I shall go talk to him."

Leaving Junil behind, Ronn walked over to the front door. The Demonfolk General spotted him, but wasn't able to turn or step away before the Hero was right in front of him.

"Hello, General Forge," Ronn said. "It has been quite some time since we've last seen each other."

General Forge, in response, narrowed his eyes at the Hero. He scooted his left leg back a little.

"Oh. It's you," he replied. "Yeah. Long time no see. Wish it was longer, though."

Ronn shifted his gaze to Forge's damaged horn.

"I see that the wounds I have inflicted still remain."

The Demonfolk general rubbed the chipped end of his left-side horn. "This? It'll grow back, given a year or two."

"You still resent me."

"Yeah, I do. Wounds heal. The damage you've done to my pride? Priceless."

General Forge narrowed his eyes. "I haven't even been able to repair my Mandrel. Not after you sliced it in half."