Chapter 3: Salkin

The industrial district of the Capital was bustling with activity. The wide streets in particular were crowded at this hour. Junil had to dodge a wagon filled to the brim with coal and accidentally bumped into a Demonfolk laborer.

"Watch where you're steppin', lass!" he exclaimed.

"Sorry!"

The Healer had to balance alongside the edge of the sidewalk to avoid the crowd. As for the Hero, he didn't seem to care at all that he was going against the flow of the street. He was capable of pushing through any crowd, but that wasn't something he even needed to do. Ronn's presence alone was enough of a reason for most of the residents here to give a wide berth.

"There's a lot of Demonfolk around here," Junil said. She glanced left, then right, only to see more of the dark-horned Demonfolk. "Was it really a good idea to take in so many?"

"The labor is vital for reconstruction," Ronn replied. "Indentured servitude is a particularly generous price for serving in the Demon Lord's armies. We may have, at some point, fought against the very same Demonfolk you are brushing alongside at this very moment. Enemies months ago, but today we are friends."

Junil finally caught up with Ronn, to tag along within the bubble that he created from all the Demonfolk that avoided getting within two arms' length of him.

"Saying they're 'friends' is pushing it a little, just look at how they're keeping their distance."

"Perhaps the word 'acquaintance' would suit as a better word?"

"I already have a word in mind, but I think my life may be in jeopardy if I were to say it out loud right here, right now."

Junil eyed some Demonfolk that were outside the factories on their breaks. A few glanced over her way, but most that were paying the duo attention seemed to be a little unhappy at the presence of the Hero.

The two finally stopped by one of the fronts of the various factory buildings. The few things that distinguished them from one another were the large logos emblazoned across placards and signs on the fronts — typically, there to denote the company that owned those buildings.

The building they stood in front of had an emblem of a golden crossbow hanging from a metal pole.

"It couldn't be made more obvious that Salkin owns this place," Junil said. "Tacky little gold-plated crossbow sign."

Once the two stepped in, the Demonfolk secretary at the front desk was the first person that came to their attention. It was an older Demonfolk woman, as evident by her horns.

"Oh, by the gods. Don't tell me..." Junil sighed.

"You know of his tendencies, especially when he is inebriated-."

"But even Demonfolk? Surely not."

The two spoke in whispers, as if trying to prevent the woman sitting up front from hearing what they had to say. If she took notice of their whispering, she did not say.

"What may I help you with?" she asked. Her eyes flickered up. "Hero and Healer?"

"Would you happen to know if Sir Salkin happens to be present?" Ronn asked. "It is of utmost importance."

The Demonfolk secretary looked up at both of them. Her eyes flickered from Ronn to Junil, though her glances over to Ronn were considerably shorter compared to her looks at the Healer.

"Yes, he's currently here. Do you want me to call him up front?"

"Please do."

The Demonfolk woman grabbed at something beneath her desk and held it up, revealing it to be a bell. She then jingled it loudly.