Interlude 5

Lord Luth had been twiddling with his thumbs, lost in thought, when the Harpy hopped into the cell.

"Hello to my favorite—"

"Gah!" the startled Luth exclaimed, jumping back from the Harpy's sudden appearance. The chains kept him in place, though.

Skarrol glanced at the Demon Lord. "What, did I scare you?"

"Yeah, you did! At least knock or announce yourself before you just tread in like that!"

"Fair point," Skarrol replied. "But a counterpoint: This isn't your room, it's a jail cell. So you can't really expect privacy."

"I'm not asking for privacy, just a little heads-up," the Demon Lord muttered.

"Well, whatever," Skarrol replied. "Wipe that frown off your face I've got you some more stuff!"

This time, the half-Harpy had two plates on the tray he was carrying, both with a wooden pint glass placed atop and a new, unfamiliar pastry. The Demon Lord glanced at the sweetmeat, enjoying the fresh-baked scents from it.

"I appreciate it, but I told you I can't drink milk," Luth said, upon seeing the two mugs on the plate.

"Milk? Nah, it's not milk, you told me already," Skarrol reassured. "It's actually cider. Hope you like apple alcohol."

"Hard cider?" the Demon Lord asked. "I haven't had a drink in quite some time, especially as I've needed to remain sober for the war effort."

"Well, why not splurge now!" the half-Harpy exclaimed. "Have a drink, it's not like you have all that many responsibilities! Unless you're a lightweight..."

"I assure you, I can hold my liquor," Luth reassured. He picked the mug up, tilting it a little to glance at the amber drink within. There was definitely a faint smell of alcohol wafting off of it, along with a sweet-sour air.

"I don't even know what apples taste like," the Demon Lord admitted. "It's a human-grown fruit, right?"

"Wait, you haven't tried an apple before? Seriously?" Skarrol asked. "Holy smokes, I should've gotten you an apple pie first."

The Demon Lord shrugged. "A good drink is a good drink, I'm not going to wait for a pie to try it."

He took a long gulp of the cider, savoring the warming sensation as it flowed down his throat. Luth then let out an audible breath as he placed the mug back down, closing his eyes in delight.

"That's good," Luth said. "Unfamiliar, but very good. You said this was made from apples?"

"Fermented apple juice," Skarrol corrected. "Press 'em, squeeze 'em, and leave 'em to ferment. I think, I haven't done much in the alcohol business before. But that's what I remember!"

Luth swished the drink in his cup, then looked at the half that remained.

"If this is how a cider tastes, I'm now curious as to how an apple pie does, too."

"They taste amazing!" Skarrol said. "Apples are best eaten when they're almost overripe, they're crunchiest and sweetest then. But, if you bake them in a pie, it softens them and makes them even sweeter."

"Now you're making me wish I had a pie, too," Lord Luth muttered. He took another swig of the cider, and sighed immediately after.

"That's the stuff," he gasped.

"Bet it's been some time since you've drank," Skarrol said.

"Ever since the halfway point in the war, when things turned out in favor of the Humans, yes. I can't lead an army if I'm not sober."