Chapter 16: Tila

The Hero and the Healer headed off to New Frontierland's library, mostly for a map. While Ronn's memory was very good, he wasn't going to rely on that entirely to traverse the way to Fort Logger.

It didn't take long for the two to find some maps and diagrams of the place. The librarians were more than willing to help the Hero gather the existing maps they had, and laid them out on a large table for Ronn to look over.

Some were outdated, dating as far back as to before the War itself. But they managed to find a very up-to-date one to survey.

Splayed out in front of Ronn and Junil was a large map of the surrounding towns and cities. However, the areas of most relevance were the areas that Ronn was pointing directly to.

"This map appears to be a little dated, but it will do." he said. "Here we are, at New Frontierland. And this..."

His finger slid over to a nearby landmark, labeled Fort Logger.

"Is where we are going. Fort Logger is atop a particularly tall hill, connected directly to New Frontierland by a narrow raised canal."

"Did I hear that correctly, a canal?" Junil asked.

"Yes, though it is more a waterslide than a canal. It is used for timber rafting. They bind up wooden logs together to float down the canal."

Junil blinked, looking down at the map. "That's rather ingenious."

"Indeed. But our main concern is this."

Ronn's finger moved from Fort Logger to a canyon that was located between Grand Elm and New Frontierland. "A river runs down the canyon here. It's a major transport hub for grain barges. They typically make stops right here."

His finger traced down the river until it stopped at a labelled point on the map, right at the base of the hill that Fort Logger was located atop.

"That river leads to a small unloading dock at the base of Fort Logger's hill. From there is a direct trail that goes all the way..."

His finger traced up.

"...to Fort Logger. Right across from Fort Logger, of course, is New Frontierland. She has a direct path to the Capital from there."

Junil looked down at the map with wide eyes. Make no mistake, she absolutely saw how that Demonfolk girl could make her way to the Demon Lord.

"This is... This all has to be a coincidence," Junil said. "She couldn't possibly have thought this all on her own."

"A coincidence has to happen by chance. This was all planned."

"By her, really?" the Healer asked. "She didn't seem all that bright when I talked to her."

Ronn simply stood there, and stared at Junil. The Healer suddenly felt uncomfortable where she was.

"You are being fooled," he said. "People are very well capable of acting unintelligent."

Junil frowned. "Yes, but she sounded so..."

"Innocent?" he asked. "Remember, this is the Demon Lord's sister we are speaking of. There is little reason for me to believe that Lord Luth has no plans regarding her."

The Healer bit her lip. As much as she wanted to say otherwise, thinking of her little conversation with the Demonfolk girl, Ronn had a point. That girl, Sollar... she could be faking the impressions of being a simpleton.

"...Then, I suppose it wouldn't hurt for us to be safe," she finally admitted. "But the idea that it's all planned, really? Isn't that more far-fetched or whatever?"