Interlude 4

"So, how's my favorite Demon Lord?" Skarrol asked, peeking his head into Lord Luth's cell. "I've brought you something else to eat!"

Lord Luth did not reply. He was still sulking in the corner of the cell.

"Hey, c'mon!" Skarrol exclaimed. "You're acting like you're dead right now."

"...Wish I was," the Demon Lord muttered.

Skarrol furrowed his eyebrows.

"Is this about your sister?" he asked. "I'm sure she's safe. Hey, let's talk. I managed to swipe something actually good for us to eat."

"Go away," Lord Luth muttered.

Skarrol, contrary to the Demon Lord's advice, did not go away. He stepped into the room with a tray in his hands.

"I've managed to get us some pastries," the Harpy said. "You like milk with them? I hope so."

Lord Luth's head perked up at the mention of food that sounded actually palatable. He looked at Skarrol, who was holding the tray with a glimmer in his eyes.

"...I like pastries, sure," he said. "But Demonfolk can't drink milk."

"Oh," Skarrol said. "Really?"

"Not adult Demonfolk, anyway."

The half-Harpy looked at the tray, then switched the cup of water he was going to drink with the cup of milk.

"Milk for me, I guess."

Sitting down right next to the Demon Lord and placed the plate with the pastry next to him.

"Eat," Skarrol said. "I order you to."

Lord Luth's bright orange eyes flickered over to him.

"On what authority?" Luth challenged.

"On mine. Now eat."

The half-Harpy proceeded to stuff the pastry into the Demon Lord's mouth. Luth, in question, gagged on the pastry, before pushing Skarrol away.

After getting the pastry out of his mouth, Lord Luth glared at the half-Harpy.

"Are you looking to die?" Luth asked.

"No," Skarrol replied. "But you've tasted the pastry, right? How could you kill me after tasting it?"

Even though Luth took the pastry out of his mouth, he could still taste it. Smacking his lips, the Demon Lord could taste a hint of honeyed fruit, along with the signature sweet brioche of the pastry.

"...It's actually pretty good," Luth said. He looked down at the plate, where he had placed the pastry.

Skarrol nodded, grinning ear to ear.

"Knew it!" the Harpy exclaimed. "I actually baked these myself, ha! How do you feel now?"

Lord Luth, however, simply took another bite from the pastry. He actually took his time to savor the flavor, chewing slowly.

"It's good," he said, his voice muffled by the foodstuff in his mouth. "You actually made these? I'm surprised."

Skarrol had been pointing at Lord Luth, but his hand drooped down at Luth's simple statement.

"Huh. I was expecting a stronger reaction," Skarrol admitted.

The Demon Lord simply shrugged.

"It's good food," he said. "If someone has good cooking, I'll give them that, even if I dislike them. Unless you poisoned it."

The Demon Lord was now looking at the pastry in his hands, even though he had already eaten a third of it.

"...You wouldn't poison something this good, would you?"